Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

SSIS - File Watcher Task Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 7:27 PM
Looking for an article on how to import a file automatically into a database using SSIS and the File Watcher Task. Assume some business person drops an Excel file in a folder and then SSIS handles the import.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1288568
Posted Monday, April 23, 2012 5:09 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 9:23 AM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/23/2012)
Looking for an article on how to import a file automatically into a database using SSIS and the File Watcher Task. Assume some business person drops an Excel file in a folder and then SSIS handles the import.

Hi Steve, I would be happy to write an article that describes how to do that.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1288572
Posted Monday, April 23, 2012 5:26 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Please do. Keep it simple, take a quick scenario, show some images of how they configure things, how the task flows the data in. Assume a simple Excel -> table with the same schema every time.

Post #1288579
Posted Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:14 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Great, that sounds like what I was thinking...something simple to get someone started on the technique with screenshots of the SSIS design environment and steps to achieve.

Just to clarify because the wording opinted me away from the built-in SSIS tasks, were you looking for something using the WMI Event Watcher in SSIS setup to watch for files, or something built using the third party File Watcher Task?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Post #1289069
Posted Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:36 AM

SSC-Dedicated

I was thinking the built in WMI one. The File Watcher would be a separate article (also would be good). One could build on the other.

Post #1289103
Posted Friday, May 18, 2012 3:51 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:28 AM
I can take one on 'File Watcher Task", but will this article describe more about .NET classe "FileSystemWatcher" or any other task or .NET class in particular?

Regards/Raunak
Now a member of Linkedin

Please visit the all new Performance Point Forum
Please visit the all new Data Mining and Business Analytics Forum
Post #1302367
Posted Friday, May 18, 2012 6:38 AM

SSCertifiable

Raunak Jhawar (5/18/2012)
I can take one on 'File Watcher Task", but will this article describe more about .NET classe "FileSystemWatcher" or any other task or .NET class in particular?

I got it Raunak. I will be doing them as a series.

Post #1302453
Posted Friday, May 18, 2012 6:40 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

I want to do one. One fo you and one for me

Regards/Raunak
Now a member of Linkedin

Post #1302455
Posted Friday, May 18, 2012 6:55 AM

SSCertifiable

Raunak Jhawar (5/18/2012)
I want to do one. One fo you and one for me

Well, I was going to do three that build on one another so it would be my wish to do all three in this area. I already submitted the WMI Event Watcher article requested here and am outlining the second using a third party FileWatcherTask as alluded to above. The third will be how to implement the FileWatcherTask functionality manually in a Script Task. The reason for the third one is that some corporate environments do not make it easy to bring in third-party tools but in general a solution using the .net watcher class will be cleaner than the solution using WMI.

Post #1302472
Posted Friday, May 18, 2012 7:38 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 10:11 AM
Any idea when the first one is coming out, Orlando?

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1302524
Posted Friday, May 18, 2012 8:53 AM

SSCertifiable

Jeff Moden (5/18/2012)
Any idea when the first one is coming out, Orlando?

I do not. I have not received any feedback since submitting the article earlier this week. This being my first article submission I am on pins and needles with anticipation. What has been your experience in terms of how long it may take before the articles are reviewed and you find out if they will be published?

Post #1302592
Posted Friday, May 18, 2012 9:40 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 10:11 AM
It depends on what the backlog for Steve is. Typically, it's been taking 3-4 weeks to be accepted, betwee, 4 and 6 weeks to be scheduled, and between 4 and 8 weeks to be published. Usually about 6 weeks to publish from the day of submittal. Earlier if the topic is particularly hot or Steve had a cancellation.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1302632
Posted Friday, May 18, 2012 10:11 AM

SSC-Dedicated

I see the WMI query article and I'll get to it. Right now I have 16 in queue, up from 8 on Monday, and I went through 4 this week. My other editor is on holiday this week and the third is a bit busy.

I'll give it a quick glance. If it looks OK, I can do a quick edit. If I see issues, I'll leave it and come back.

We are scheduled through next week, but I have 13 articles to schedule today, so likely we are talking mid-late June for the next batch of 5-10 articles I get done.

Post #1302656
Posted Friday, May 18, 2012 12:11 PM

SSCertifiable

Jeff, your comments helped settle me down. It's nice to have a timeline now on when I might see the article accepted and potentially published. Thanks as always for all the encouragement and tips along the way.

Steve, thanks for your comments. I made the edits you recommended and can definitely appreciate all of a sudden being swamped when someone goes on holiday. It's suspicious how that happens. I appreciate you having a look at the article this morning.

Post #1302742
Posted Monday, June 25, 2012 9:35 AM

SSCertifiable

Hi Steve,

I would like to correct a few minor typos in the article before it is published. Given that it has been scheduled for publication can I modify the article and press "Save & Submit" without affecting its status?

Thanks,
Orlando

Post #1320702
Posted Monday, June 25, 2012 9:28 PM

Ten Centuries

Yes you can.

Regards/Raunak
Now a member of Linkedin

Post #1320987
Posted Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:14 AM

SSCertifiable

It did not work out the way I had hoped:

Post Attachments 
Update.jpg (260 views, 33.40 KB)
Post #1321214
Posted Tuesday, June 26, 2012 8:53 PM

SSCertifiable

Big brother must have been watching over me. All is well now

Post #1321650
Posted Wednesday, June 27, 2012 1:23 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Corrections don't take effect until approved.

All set

Post #1322124
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse