Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

SSIS - File Watcher Task Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:24 AM
Looking for an article on how to import a file automatically into a database using SSIS and the File Watcher Task. Assume some business person drops an Excel file in a folder and then SSIS handles the import.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1288568
Posted Monday, April 23, 2012 5:09 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 9:25 AM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/23/2012)
Looking for an article on how to import a file automatically into a database using SSIS and the File Watcher Task. Assume some business person drops an Excel file in a folder and then SSIS handles the import.

Hi Steve, I would be happy to write an article that describes how to do that.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato

Believe you can and you're halfway there. --Theodore Roosevelt

Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler --Albert Einstein

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. --Albert Einstein

1 apple is not exactly 1/8 of 8 apples. Because there are no absolutely identical apples. --Giordy
Post #1288572
Posted Monday, April 23, 2012 5:26 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Please do. Keep it simple, take a quick scenario, show some images of how they configure things, how the task flows the data in. Assume a simple Excel -> table with the same schema every time.

Post #1288579
Posted Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:14 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Great, that sounds like what I was thinking...something simple to get someone started on the technique with screenshots of the SSIS design environment and steps to achieve.

Just to clarify because the wording opinted me away from the built-in SSIS tasks, were you looking for something using the WMI Event Watcher in SSIS setup to watch for files, or something built using the third party File Watcher Task?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato

Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler --Albert Einstein

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. --Albert Einstein

1 apple is not exactly 1/8 of 8 apples. Because there are no absolutely identical apples. --Giordy
Post #1289069
Posted Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:36 AM

SSC-Dedicated

I was thinking the built in WMI one. The File Watcher would be a separate article (also would be good). One could build on the other.

Post #1289103
Posted Friday, May 18, 2012 3:51 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, April 17, 2014 4:39 AM
I can take one on 'File Watcher Task", but will this article describe more about .NET classe "FileSystemWatcher" or any other task or .NET class in particular?

Regards/Raunak
Now a member of Linkedin

Please visit the all new Performance Point Forum
Please visit the all new Data Mining and Business Analytics Forum
Post #1302367
Posted Friday, May 18, 2012 6:38 AM

SSCertifiable

Raunak Jhawar (5/18/2012)
I can take one on 'File Watcher Task", but will this article describe more about .NET classe "FileSystemWatcher" or any other task or .NET class in particular?

I got it Raunak. I will be doing them as a series.

Post #1302453
Posted Friday, May 18, 2012 6:40 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, April 17, 2014 4:39 AM
I want to do one. One fo you and one for me

Regards/Raunak
Now a member of Linkedin

Please visit the all new Performance Point Forum
Please visit the all new Data Mining and Business Analytics Forum
Post #1302455
Posted Friday, May 18, 2012 6:55 AM

SSCertifiable

Raunak Jhawar (5/18/2012)
I want to do one. One fo you and one for me

Well, I was going to do three that build on one another so it would be my wish to do all three in this area. I already submitted the WMI Event Watcher article requested here and am outlining the second using a third party FileWatcherTask as alluded to above. The third will be how to implement the FileWatcherTask functionality manually in a Script Task. The reason for the third one is that some corporate environments do not make it easy to bring in third-party tools but in general a solution using the .net watcher class will be cleaner than the solution using WMI.

Post #1302472
Posted Friday, May 18, 2012 7:38 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:06 PM
Any idea when the first one is coming out, Orlando?

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

"Change is inevitable. Change for the better is not." -- 04 August 2013
(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1302524
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse