Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Bulk Logged recovery model Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 6:21 PM
Sorry for the confusion. The question and answer was meant to test your knowledge on the log file backup size only and not the log file. Somehow the wording was not perfect thereby leading to wrong interpretation. Hope this clarifies.

Mohammed Moinudheen
Post #1284029
Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 6:01 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Today @ 4:45 AM
mohammed moinudheen (4/16/2012)
Sorry for the confusion. The question and answer was meant to test your knowledge on the log file backup size only and not the log file. Somehow the wording was not perfect thereby leading to wrong interpretation. Hope this clarifies.
Don't worry. Writing questions is very difficult - everyone answering expects perfection, but no-one writing questions is perfect (certainly the ones I've written have been imperfect!). Just keep producing questions, they are very welcome even when we moan about them. We are all grateful to people like you who take the trouble to write questions - after all, most people can't be bothered to try writing them.

Tom
Post #1284037
Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 6:18 AM

SSCrazy

L' Eomot Inversé (4/16/2012)
mohammed moinudheen (4/16/2012)
Don't worry. Writing questions is very difficult - everyone answering expects perfection, but no-one writing questions is perfect (certainly the ones I've written have been imperfect!). Just keep producing questions, they are very welcome even when we moan about them. We are all grateful to people like you who take the trouble to write questions - after all, most people can't be bothered to try writing them.

Thank you Sir.

Mohammed Moinudheen
Post #1284043
Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 7:44 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 10:13 PM
call.copse (4/16/2012)
I would go further than the other posters on this thread - sorry, this question and the answer given are just plain WRONG.

See this MSDN blog entry which clearly explains log sizes in different modes:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/suhde/archive/2010/12/29/transaction-log-backup-size-in-bulk-logged-recovery-model.aspx

The LOG FILE BACKUP is certainly likely to be larger.

The LOG FILE (subsequent to backup) is almost certainly SMALLER given that it is not doing point in time restore.

I will accept that the question could have been mangled unintentionally in the editorial prcess or something - but, the fact remains, the correct answer to the question as written is NO.

I would say that since the question read "...could you see a log file bigger than usual?" the only logical answer is yes. While the bulk-logged recovery model is a feature designed to reduce log file growth, it does not constrain log file growth. Therefore you certainly could see a larger log file in some circumstances.

However, I would also say that that does not seem to be the intent of the question. The question was poorly worded, but the explanation is correct. So, poor wording of the question has given us a "If False then True" situation -- which, if my memory of basic logic serves me properly, is still True. So much for logic.
Post #1284113
Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 7:49 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 8:35 AM
The CosmicTrickster (4/15/2012)
"Now, after you take a log backup, could you see a log file bigger than usual?"

No points for me. I perceive there being a difference between a "backup file" and a "log file". If someone says "log file" to me, I take it to mean the transaction log file, not the backup.

I saw could... Could you see a larger backup file.... the correct answer... well it depends... did those bulk activities you forsaw actually occur? Was there a larger amount of normal database traffic that might have caused the log file to grow? Did somebody decide to rebuild all the indexes in the database?

I mean really... Could that file, or the backup, or whatever have grown? Sure....

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
Post #1284117
Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 8:37 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 2:35 AM
sknox (4/16/2012)
call.copse (4/16/2012)
I would go further than the other posters on this thread - sorry, this question and the answer given are just plain WRONG.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/suhde/archive/2010/12/29/transaction-log-backup-size-in-bulk-logged-recovery-model.aspx

The LOG FILE (subsequent to backup) is almost certainly SMALLER given that it is not doing point in time restore.

I will accept that the question could have been mangled unintentionally in the editorial prcess or something - but, the fact remains, the correct answer to the question as written is NO.

I would say that since the question read "...could you see a log file bigger than usual?" the only logical answer is yes. While the bulk-logged recovery model is a feature designed to reduce log file growth, it does not constrain log file growth. Therefore you certainly could see a larger log file in some circumstances.

However, I would also say that that does not seem to be the intent of the question. The question was poorly worded, but the explanation is correct. So, poor wording of the question has given us a "If False then True" situation -- which, if my memory of basic logic serves me properly, is still True. So much for logic.

I disagree. There are no circumstances where immediately post log backup, a full recovery model database log file will be less big than a bulk logged model database log file after the same set of transactions. I am pretty sure there are few conceivable circumstances where it might even be the same size. The blog link I sent above explains this pretty well.

@Mohammed
I'll echo Tom - I was pretty annoyed to spend time trying to get the question right according to the exact wording and find I still had it wrong - but I have not yet submitted any questions, so good on you. It must not be easy to put yourself before an audience who are by nature likely to be EXTREMELY pedantic.
Post #1284156
Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 8:53 AM

SSCrazy

@Mohammed
I'll echo Tom - I was pretty annoyed to spend time trying to get the question right according to the exact wording and find I still had it wrong - but I have not yet submitted any questions, so good on you. It must not be easy to put yourself before an audience who are by nature likely to be EXTREMELY pedantic.

No problem, thank you for the feedback.

Mohammed Moinudheen
Post #1284176
Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 8:54 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, July 10, 2014 11:01 AM
Thomas Abraham (4/16/2012)
Thank you for the question. I thought the question was straightforward, but then it's Monday.

I figured what was being asked, no confusion here either...

Post #1284177
Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 8:55 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:53 AM
call.copse (4/16/2012)

Tks for the question, however, I am another who answered based on log file and not log file backup...
Post #1284181
Posted Monday, April 16, 2012 9:12 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 9:41 AM
I was also thrown off my the 'log file' at the end of the question. It should have been 'could you see a log backup file larger than usual' By Log File I thought the question meant 'transaction log file' , which immediately after a backup either in Full or Bulk-logged should be the same.

Thanks
Post #1284196
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse