Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Database Change Management Best Practices : Achieving an Automated App Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:28 PM

These are articles are by the author of the whitepaper and will be coming every Wed for the next few weeks. They form the basis for a methodology that doesn't require dbGhost, but was the theory behind why it was developed.

As far as not having a budget, you're stuck. Any good VCS product will require some $$. I was in the same boat and developed my own manual/automated solution, mostly a process. You can read about it here:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones/vcspart1.asp

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones/vcspart2.asp

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones/vcspart3.asp

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones/vcspart4.asp

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #128904
Posted Wednesday, July 28, 2004 3:27 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 3:47 PM
Thanks, Steve. That makes me feel a little better. The first part was a direct quote from the white paper and that didn't bode well for the rest of the series. I'll take a look at your columms, too. The whole process is interesting - it's just a hard sell to buy new products for development.

I will be interested in the whole methodology behind this to see what they did and thought of. The product concept looks like it could be useful, it's just tough to sell that sort of solution for our environment.

-Pete Schott

Post #128910
Posted Wednesday, July 28, 2004 6:06 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:28 PM
It is, especially when you have to license all developers. I've not successfully licensed any product for everyone.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #128921
Posted Wednesday, July 28, 2004 7:37 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, March 13, 2006 2:12 PM

Many thanks for the feedback.  I have tried to write the articles (white paper) as generically as possible.  I really want to convey the concepts of SQL object (and hence database) version control and automated generation of change scripts.  After many years as a DBA, I haven't seen things improve much in this area.  The ideas and process outlined is working successfully in production environments.  Yes, the concept requires some software for automation and it can be software of your choosing.  I have tried to address some of the considerations for implementing an automated approach.  If that is not an option, there are some good articles around - thanks Steve.

Thanks,

Darren Fuller

darren.fuller@innovartis.co.uk

Post #128926
Posted Wednesday, July 28, 2004 8:46 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, October 27, 2006 9:17 AM

The only reason I came across the whitepaper was because I could not wait for the ending, Darren was speaking on a topic that I am in the middle of, and I need an answer before the next article was released. If this piece of software does what it says it can do, I have no problem paying for it. We have currently brought in 4 consultants to fix a f$#%^ed Database that would have been in better shape if we would have had some form of change control, (and a good SQL DBA, but that's another story). For the price of this software, if it does what it says it does, part of my problems will be solved. I've had heard pitches for software before but this one is right on the money. I am in the process of setting up a lab to test the software, to see if it does what it say's. If it does, thank you Darren.

p.s. Sorry if I took the wind out of your sails mate!!

Post #128932
Posted Wednesday, July 28, 2004 10:44 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 3:47 PM
I appreciated the info, Ken. My first reaction was thinking that this was going to turn into a multi-part post that just quoted the white paper. Hearing from others, it appears that isn't the case and I'm glad to hear it. I agree that this software sounds really promising - it's just that I have trouble justifying major expense being that we're not a software shop. We have a pretty small team and changes are mostly manageable now. I'm just always looking for something better than source safe and database compares. I'll be interested to read the rest of the articles to see the ideas behind this.

-Pete

Post #128938
Posted Thursday, July 29, 2004 7:57 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, February 25, 2011 8:56 AM
I'd love to here the results of your testing Ken, I'm going to be doing the same thing but it sounds like you might get there first.

Post #129051
Posted Monday, August 2, 2004 8:27 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:23 AM

We use

• Perforce for version control
  • PowerDesigner for table creation and maintenance. Both the PowerDesigner file and the generated SQL file (create statements) are checked in Perforce
  • RedGate SQL Compare to detect the changes and then build a a script to update each database.

We can get 60-80% of the changes generated by SQL Compare. The rest is hand crafted as we  use the scripts in an upgrade of our product. The integration of the generated scripts with the manually written scripts is sequenced in a batch command file.

Hope this helps others who are thinking about version control and upgrades.

Post #129643
Posted Monday, August 2, 2004 12:58 PM
Grasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:33 PM
Oops, nevermind, I made a comment not realizing the concern had allready been voiced in another post.

Shane
Post #129717
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse