Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Taking Notes – Paper or Keyboard? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, August 11, 2014 1:55 AM
I use both paper and a tablet dependant on the circumstances.

I take pen and paper to meetings as you never know when you need to sketch/doodle out a concept to elaborate. This usually gets carted around in my black folder. Actions arising and key decisions then get emailed out to all attendees so that nobody can argue after the fact.

The tablet with evernotes comes out in a more structured setting where I'm taking notes and having ideas as somebody else is speaking. This is a great way of keeping things portable and being able to hop on to people's sites and stuff as they're talking. I've got an asus eeePAD Transformer which has it's own docking station/keyboard which makes it great for the intensive typing if it's needed.
Post #1244150
Posted Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:46 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, July 11, 2014 6:55 AM
I'm virtual so always at a keyboard, so on calls I just type into Notepad (any other simple text editor would do). Then I transfer into Toodledo.

Post #1244153
Posted Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:58 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 4:28 AM
As most here, pen and paper for me, I tend to try to use a stack of recycled paper (old one-sided printouts no longer required, less so now as we print 2 sides) held together with a foldback clip. The Pen is very important, has to sit comfortably in my hand and write well and consistently... not that I can ever read my writing

Am always envious of those that can type quick bulleted notes in front of us into notepad while chairing a meeting presenting something on the same computer & projector. Very transparent and then shared.

Post #1244160
Posted Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:11 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:59 PM
Interesting question.

If I'm at my computer and taking notes, I will use notepad so I can store it as a text file. I can organize those however I wish.

If I'm in a classroom environment, I'll use my livescribe pen and paper because I'll know ahead of time about the training event.

If I'm caught by surprise walking about without my computer and need to jot something down, pen and paper is the only way. When I get back to the computer, I'll either scan it in using Neatworks or retype it into notepad. Or, if it's a temporary thing like a to-do list, I'll dispose/shred it once I've accomplished all the tasks.

I've been caught without any pen or paper so I've had to take notes with my android phone. I've taken pictures of white boards with the camera too.

I use the camera all the time when shopping around for the best price on merchandise. Take a picture of the product and price tag so when you go to the next place, you can confirm the model number and pricing of the previous place. I've had stores match prices that way too.

So, in summary, there's no easy answer except "it depends."
Post #1244168
Posted Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:23 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Today @ 12:53 PM
I'm mostly same as you, Andy. Have had a 9" tablet notebook for years, have tried various electronic entry forms, including typing & ink. OneNote seemed to work best. But ultimately I have gone exclusively to paper notes. My notes also last only a day or two, and I move anything important to my desktop: OneNote for notes, Outlook for tasks and scheduling. I think process of reviewing and dispositioning these notes is worthwhile exercise, and is why paper wins for me--when I take electronic notes directly, I don't have to do this part (I can, but don't HAVE to).

Never heard of the Arc before, looks good. I have been a diehard Levenger Circa fan ever since my brother gave me one about 5 years ago. Until Circa, I tried a new system out every year or two, always looking for the right tool. Have not looked since.

Post #1244252
Posted Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:59 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 11:33 AM
Mind mapping. Blank piece of paper (unruled) and four different colored pens. I've only been trying it for a short while, but am finding it to be very effective. I do have some free software called MindJet on my Android, which isn't bad, but it's much easier to just draw on paper.

I haven't started using OneNote or Evernote, although you can mind map within that too, and that may be more effective for organization.

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #1244278
Posted Tuesday, January 31, 2012 6:12 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 5:57 AM
Pen and paper to create a mind map while the meeting/lecture/session is going on. Also, I record meetings/lectures/sessions with my usb dicatphone.

When the meeting/lecture/session is over, I'll use a combination of my mind map, recording of the talk and several books to type up a decent document. Then create a better mind-map with more detail and keep document, mind-map and detailed mind-map together for future reference.

Not a DBA, just trying to learn

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

If you litter your database queries with nolock query hints, are you aware of the side effects?
Try reading a few of these links...

(*) Missing rows with nolock
(*) Allocation order scans with nolock
(*) Consistency issues with nolock
(*) Transient Corruption Errors in SQL Server error log caused by nolock
(*) Dirty reads, read errors, reading rows twice and missing rows with nolock

LinkedIn | Blog coming soon (for sufficiently large values of "soon" )!
Post #1244294
Posted Tuesday, January 31, 2012 6:24 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 11:08 AM
It's a mix for me. I sometimes use paper and pen (not pencil) or I will type them electronically on laptop, phone or something - it depends on the meeting and location.

I like the half page size notebooks. I am not picky on which one.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1244303
Posted Tuesday, January 31, 2012 6:41 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Today @ 8:37 AM
There has been research demonstrating that people tend to remember better when taking hand notes over keyboard notes. It appears that the kinesthetics of the motion helps reinforce the memory.

Personally my circles and arrows help me structure the concept on paper.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Post #1244327
Posted Tuesday, January 31, 2012 6:53 AM

Ten Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:59 PM
jay holovacs (1/31/2012)
There has been research demonstrating that people tend to remember better when taking hand notes over keyboard notes. It appears that the kinesthetics of the motion helps reinforce the memory.

Personally my circles and arrows help me structure the concept on paper.

That might be true but what is the real purpose for taking notes? I take notes for bits of information I might need later on -- not to improve my memory.
Post #1244341
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse