Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Wjat would be a good supplmental skill to SQL server Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, December 10, 2011 4:49 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, December 30, 2011 4:47 AM
Normally employers don't ask for just one set of skill such as in one suite of product as SQL server. This is more the case in the current environment of the over-supply of job seekers.

If you have some level of proficiency in administration, and t-sql programming, what would be a good supplemental skill that you can consider learning to make yourself more marketable?

I think .net programming would be a good supplement, but not everyone is cut out to be a a programmer.
Post #1219798
Posted Saturday, December 10, 2011 6:29 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, September 18, 2014 7:56 AM
- How about windows 7/2008(r2)
- networking basics
- communication skills

Johan

Don't drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
but keeping both feet on the ground won't get you anywhere

- How to post Performance Problems
- How to post data/code to get the best help

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt ?

"press F1 for solution", "press shift+F1 for urgent solution"

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me
Post #1219804
Posted Saturday, December 10, 2011 8:26 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 5:12 AM
powershell.

anything on the BI side - SSIS, SSRS, SSAS

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #1219819
Posted Saturday, December 10, 2011 5:32 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 8:09 AM
My recommendation would be to be a lot different than the masses of unemployed. Although it's certainly good to have a well rounded background, unless you're really, really good at something, you're just like the rest of the folks looking for a job. Pick your passion and excel at it. The jobs will come.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1219870
Posted Saturday, December 10, 2011 7:21 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Sunday, September 23, 2012 8:09 AM
You may go with multiple DBMS to enhance your skillset like sybase or oracle with Sql server.

java
Post #1219882
Posted Saturday, December 10, 2011 8:26 PM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, September 18, 2014 7:50 PM
If you are not completely committed to IT .. and I mean COMPLETELY, then I would suggest taking a college or graduate school course leading to a degree, and/or a Masters Degree in Business Managment. My reasoning .. compare your highest paying IT non-management position, to that of a Department / Division manager of almost any company, and do not stop there go on up the chain of command. The logical thinking that you must have to be successful in the IT world will come in very handy in the business world at markedly higher salaries / benefits / perks.

For a specific example of what I mean. Picture yourself requesting additional funding, say for additional servers, who makes the decision as to wether or not you get the funding ? I'll bet that is a business manager, making a higher salary than that of highest hands on DBA / Developer / Web programmer / etc.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
Post #1219888
Posted Sunday, December 11, 2011 7:14 AM

SSCertifiable

george sibbald (12/10/2011)
powershell.

anything on the BI side - SSIS, SSRS, SSAS

Darned, I even forgot that one, despite of my article "Me, myself and Powershell"

Thank you for bringing it up, George

salum (12/10/2011)
...like sybase or oracle ...

Now, now, ... were talking database systems, wright

This actually is a good point. It is always a strong point to be able to find your way in multiple environments or to be able to at least read the code written.
That's one of the reasons some of us try to stick with ansi sql and never use proprietary language features.

But, as Jeff mentioned, excel.

Johan

Post #1219919
Posted Sunday, December 11, 2011 8:22 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

bitbucket-25253 (12/10/2011)
If you are not completely committed to IT .. and I mean COMPLETELY, then I would suggest taking a college or graduate school course leading to a degree, and/or a Masters Degree in Business Managment. My reasoning .. compare your highest paying IT non-management position, to that of a Department / Division manager of almost any company, and do not stop there go on up the chain of command. The logical thinking that you must have to be successful in the IT world will come in very handy in the business world at markedly higher salaries / benefits / perks.

For a specific example of what I mean. Picture yourself requesting additional funding, say for additional servers, who makes the decision as to wether or not you get the funding ? I'll bet that is a business manager, making a higher salary than that of highest hands on DBA / Developer / Web programmer / etc.

Oddly enough, some of us make more than our bosses.

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
Post #1219925
Posted Sunday, December 11, 2011 8:25 AM

SSC-Dedicated

ALZDBA (12/11/2011)
That's one of the reasons some of us try to stick with ansi sql and never use proprietary language features.

Heh... It's a personal belief, for sure, but I believe that "Ansi SQL" and "Excelling" are mutually exclusive terms especially when it comes to batch processing.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1219926
Posted Sunday, December 11, 2011 11:22 AM

SSCertifiable

Jeff Moden (12/11/2011)
ALZDBA (12/11/2011)

Heh... It's a personal belief, for sure, but I believe that "Ansi SQL" and "Excelling" are mutually exclusive terms especially when it comes to batch processing.

That's exactly why it causes so many mixed feelings, so many times

Johan

Post #1219943
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse