Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Beginning Administration Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:24 AM

I would definitely be interested in getting some basic information on SQL admin duties. Specifically maintenance plans, security, & optimization.

Post #152594
Posted Tuesday, January 04, 2005 5:38 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 8:13 AM

I am definitely interested in the Security and Administration duties of a MS2000 DBA.

Christopher B. Kentebe
B.S.E.E., O.C.P.
Microsoft SQL Server2000 DBA
Phone : (416) 338-1274
Fax : (416) 696-3765
Email: ckentebe@toronto.ca
Post #153443
Posted Friday, February 04, 2005 11:01 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Monday, April 21, 2014 4:47 PM

This should help set something up. This article provides some structure. Hope it helps.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/maintain/sqlops4.mspx#ECAA

Post #159776
Posted Tuesday, February 15, 2005 6:20 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, April 30, 2012 7:54 AM

Im administrator of an MIS that uses  SQL 2000 - and while I can find my way around the db, create backups, use dts,  and write Crystal Reports from the data - I find it difficult to understand  how to create views ( so that my Crystal Report can report from the view rather than a group of tables.)

eg: I failed miserably at replication ( so I took my ball home and refused to play anymore!)

Im also at  a total loss to understand  'joins' -  the concept, how they work/how to use them  etc etc

Any Steve Jones style prompt sheets would be greatfully appreciated

Post #161693
Posted Tuesday, April 19, 2005 4:13 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 11:46 AM

The first thing a good dba should do, coming into an existing environment, is to put together a backup scheme.  Typically, a full backup once a week, and transaction logs more often (depending on how your organization would view data loss in a DR scenario).  Secondly, maintenance plans, DBCC checks, reindexing, etc.  Some good ones to check out are DBCC CheckDB, DBCC Reindex, DBCC IndexDefrag, DBCC ShowContig.  Some of these are very intrusive and should be done off-hours.  Capacity planning is also important.  Monitor your db sizes and keep tabs on it.  Once you have all of these automated, then you can start getting your hands dirty with performance tuning at the query level, DTS, Replication.

Getting back to backups, be sure to test your backups on a regular basis.

Post #175887
Posted Wednesday, April 20, 2005 8:24 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

A DBA tale

Bob walked into his new office with overwhelming confidence as the exiting DBA finished packing his belongings. As Bob walked into the room, the DBA stopped a moment, walked to his desk, took out three envelopes and handed them to Bob.The exiting guy told Bob not to open them, as they would only be effective if they were opened at the right time. Bob asked when that would be, and the exiting DBA said that, when a situation came up where you don't know what to do, open #1 before you walk in to talk to the boss.

Bob got busy and got into the work, handled everything that came his way until one day, he was asked to get some data from a backup. Bob found out that his backups were failing. Bob remembered the envelopes, tore open #1 which contained a slip of paper which read "Blame it on the last DBA". Bob walked into the office wondering what to say and thought of how easily it could have been avoided. He checked the SQL Mail setup, even tested it! How was he to know that MIS would change something in the mail setup? Of course, to blame them would incur the wrath of the MIS department, and being a newbie, he didn't want to do that, so he blindly took the advice in the envelope. His boss agreed that it was the fault of the previous DBA, but told Bob that all SQL Server issues were his problem from now on. Bob learned from his mistake and set up SQL Mail to send him email upon success AND failure of any job. This way, if he didn't receive an email, he'd know there was a problem.

Two weeks went by, and Bob was a legend in his own mind. He loved the new backup strategy he'd implemented. It was so sleek and flexible, there was no way he'd lose data. Then, it was put to the test, and the recovery operation failed. He'd had successful emails regarding his backups and couldn't understand how this could happen. Was it the drive or the server??? He had no idea why he couldn't restore from his backups. Then he remembered the envelopes. Tearing open the second one, it said, simply "Blame the hardware." This was a great revelation to Bob. He'd never tested his recovery plan from start to finish, and never restored a backup in test before going live. Bob went to his boss and told him it was the hardware. The boss agreed, but pointed out that the company had just lost 48 hours worth of work. Bob left, with his tail between his legs. Bob learned that it's important to test your recovery plan.

He was just about to turn in his resignation when he realized he had another envelope. It couldn't possibly help him feel better about the hole he'd dug for himself, but what had he to lose? Bob opened the last envelope, read the note, and smiled. "Create 3 envelopes, label them #1, #2, #3, and create notes that say "Blame it on the last DBA", "Blame the hardware.", and in the third envelope place this note, and start looking for a new job. You're the only one to blame."

Post #176103
Posted Tuesday, May 03, 2005 6:44 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 6:53 AM
I'M NEW TO THIS...

HAVE MSACCESS DATABASE SPLIT INTO DATABASE AND DATABASE_BE. GETTING TOO BIG FOR ACCESS. WANT TO PUT THE BACK END INTO SQL SERVER AND USE THE FRONT END TO MANIPULATE, ETC.

HOW DO I GET THE BACK END INTO SQL SERVER?

THANKS =)
Post #179470
Posted Tuesday, May 03, 2005 7:06 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 1:18 AM

http://msdn.microsoft.com/sql/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnsql2k/html/sqlbackend.asp

http://www.support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;237980

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;884457

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;241743

should get you going. A search here in the fora might also be helpful.

--
Frank Kalis
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/
Post #179476
Posted Tuesday, May 03, 2005 8:10 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Pretty easy to DTS the data into your SQL Server and link to it through Access (ODBC).
Post #179497
Posted Saturday, July 16, 2005 2:41 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Sunday, June 17, 2012 11:10 AM
Better do it with a copy first when you have plenty of free time. Things are about to get real different.

We have met the enemy and he is us.
Post #201883
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse