Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Heath Normal Form Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, November 12, 2011 1:45 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 4:46 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Heath Normal Form

Tom
Post #1204679
Posted Saturday, November 12, 2011 1:52 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 4:41 AM
Without prior knowledge of the QOD author I surmised it was you...

Now a general question for yourself .... in your experiences, around the world, what would you say are the percentage of DBs in 4NF and / or higher (5NF,6NF).

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
Post #1204681
Posted Sunday, November 13, 2011 3:34 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

bitbucket-25253 (11/12/2011)
Without prior knowledge of the QOD author I surmised it was you...

Now a general question for yourself .... in your experiences, around the world, what would you say are the percentage of DBs in 4NF and / or higher (5NF,6NF).

Well, I would guess about 50%, or maybe a bit lower, are in 4NF or higher.

actual counts from experience:
In 2007: system with 9 databases, 7 in 4NF or higher, 1 in 2NF (denormalised Management Information database), 1 not even in 1NF (arrogant and incompetent people who wouldn't follow instructions).
In 2002: system with 3 databases, 1 in BCNF and 2 not even in 1NF.
in 2000: system with 2 DBs, both in 4NF or higher.
Before 2000: most everything 4NF or higher, except MI stuff.

Many data warehouse/business intelligence/management information databases are not in 4NF, because they've been deliberately denormalised (which is reasonably safe because the usual concerns about update and insertion anomalies don't apply, the method of getting data into them is very different from other databases) to reduce join complexity of big queries in exchange for an increase of storage requirement through the increased redundancy of the data. Sometimes some parts of such databases aren't even in 3NF, some not even in 2NF.

At the other end, some databases have never had any normalisation done at all. They are not in 2NF, because nobody involved in the design knew anything about normalisation and thought they just had to code around all the anomalies, often not in 1NF because someone thought nonatomic fields were a good idea and primary keys an uneeded luxury. Unless these systems are very simple and don't get caught up in enhancements to provide extra features they can be a real pain.

It's fairly common for people to aim for 3NF (whether by guess or by using Bernstein's algorithm) and that usually ends up conforming to EKNF or BCNF (if they use Bernstein's algorithm it's guaranteed to be at least EKNF). Since any 3NF table which doesn't have overlapping candidate keys is guaranteed to be in BCNF, and overlapping candidate keys are rare, it's usually BCNF. Multivalued dependencies are also pretty rare, so probably most things that have been aimed at 3NF actually hit 4NF. I don't have any real feel for how rare join dependencies are, so I don't have a feel for how often 5NF is hit by accident, but I suspect it's quite often.

It's less common for people to aim for 4NF or for 5NF than for 3NF or EKNF, but that probably doesn't cause the proportion of DBs in 4NF or higher to be much lower, simply because most 3NF schemas are 4NF as noted above.

Of course some people will tell you that almost all SQL databases are not in any normal form because they have at least one column in at least one table that allows null. If you believe that pernicious claptrap, use a figure of about 1% instead of the about 50% I suggested above.

Tom
Post #1204733
Posted Sunday, November 13, 2011 8:33 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, July 28, 2014 9:56 PM
Tom,
When I saw this question related to "normal forms", I knew it must be from you. Thanks for the question as we got to know some interesting facts.

Mohammed Moinudheen
Post #1204778
Posted Sunday, November 13, 2011 9:00 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:50 AM
I really liked this question. Not least because I didn't have to read past answer possibility #1 to get my two points

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #1204785
Posted Sunday, November 13, 2011 2:35 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:59 PM
Thanks Tom for continuing to educate us on NF

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1204820
Posted Sunday, November 13, 2011 3:38 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SQL Kiwi (11/13/2011)
I really liked this question. Not least because I didn't have to read past answer possibility #1 to get my two points

Well, I'm glad you liked it, even for that reason. At last I have managed to produce a question that most people get right before they can read the answer in the next day's update from sqlservercentral. massive 67% so far.

But I wonder how long it will be before someone claims it's a trick question?

Tom
Post #1204829
Posted Sunday, November 13, 2011 5:16 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:14 AM
L' Eomot Inversé (11/13/2011)
SQL Kiwi (11/13/2011)

Well, I'm glad you liked it, even for that reason. At last I have managed to produce a question that most people get right before they can read the answer in the next day's update from sqlservercentral. massive 67% so far.

But I wonder how long it will be before someone claims it's a trick question?

I owe 2 points to google on this one.

I first assumed it was a typo from a enguish as my 8th language. Then I saw it was your question so I assumed word play. Then wiki[pedia] gave it to me straight .
Post #1204841
Posted Sunday, November 13, 2011 11:46 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 4:16 AM
Nice question Tom, thanks.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1204878
Posted Monday, November 14, 2011 1:44 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 3:03 AM
Thanks for the question, Tom.
Really educational.

Post #1204929
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse