Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Going Green in Software Development Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:00 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Going Green in Software Development

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1201234
Posted Monday, November 7, 2011 1:14 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 1:35 AM
Another great argument against the use of cursors - thanks!
Post #1201255
Posted Monday, November 7, 2011 5:08 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, June 3, 2014 8:16 AM
That's an interesting perspective I've not thought about before.
Post #1201315
Posted Monday, November 7, 2011 5:54 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, July 4, 2014 9:03 AM
Most of the old guard would pride themselves on writing efficient code, but I'm not convinced the code I've written has saved significant amounts of energy.
Post #1201343
Posted Monday, November 7, 2011 6:05 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 6:17 AM
Steve, when you're appointed benevolent dictator or energy czar, the first thing that I’d ask you to do ban those lame flash-based facebook games. Even when my wife isn’t playing actively one of those games and barely anything is changing on the screen; both cores on her laptop are running at 100%. If you consider the number of people playing those games, the amount of energy wasted must be enormous.

As punishment for this crime against humanity, I propose that the developers be sentenced to work in a large office building, be required to wear a suit and tie every day and be forced to write all of their code in COBOL.

Post #1201355
Posted Monday, November 7, 2011 6:16 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 7:19 AM
We can debate the morality of energy efficiency as long as we want, but whether we like it or not eventually it comes down to cost-effectiveness. Does a windmill or solar panel produce enough electricity to make it useful in real life? In some situations, yes. In others, no.

For software, does bad code in one application cause an increase in 5 watts of power? 10 watts? 100 watts? What does it cost in hourly wages to have a developer check for such efficiency? How does that cost compare to the cost of a few extra watts? And more, what is the cost of implementing the controls that would be required to check whether or not efficient code is affecting the bottom line in the server center? Do we hire a consultant? Do we increase the QA staff? Is extra equipment required? Do we purchase a special software package, that itself consumes power, to monitor power consumption in other applications?

Maybe the power consumption of individual work stations should be considered? One wasted watt spread over 10 million machines adds up. On the other hand, it often adds up for someone else; not the writers of the errant app.

This is a very interesting point and may be something we all watch someday. However, something tells me it will be a long time before there is widespread concern about it.

Post #1201370
Posted Monday, November 7, 2011 6:53 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 2:22 PM
effwitt (11/7/2011)
Steve, when you're appointed benevolent dictator or energy czar, the first thing that I’d ask you to do ban those lame flash-based facebook games. Even when my wife isn’t playing actively one of those games and barely anything is changing on the screen; both cores on her laptop are running at 100%. If you consider the number of people playing those games, the amount of energy wasted must be enormous.

As punishment for this crime against humanity, I propose that the developers be sentenced to work in a large office building, be required to wear a suit and tie every day and be forced to write all of their code in COBOL.

There's nothing wrong with COBOL. If it wasn't for COBOL and other early languages, no one would be writing T-SQL. I would like to write all of my code in COBOL, or RPG, or PL/I, or Pascal. We created very efficient and fast programs with these languages. Many of the programs are still in use today. I don't know that I'll be able to say the same thing about T-SQL, .NET, Java, and other newer languages in 30 or 40 years.
Post #1201396
Posted Monday, November 7, 2011 6:55 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 2:22 PM
Steve,

What have you determined about the cost-effectiveness of wind and solar energy? Everything I've been hearing and reading has been pretty negative.

Thanks,
Tom
Post #1201397
Posted Monday, November 7, 2011 7:13 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:00 PM
Someguy (11/7/2011)

Maybe the power consumption of individual work stations should be considered? One wasted watt spread over 10 million machines adds up. On the other hand, it often adds up for someone else; not the writers of the errant app.

This is a very interesting point and may be something we all watch someday. However, something tells me it will be a long time before there is widespread concern about it.

I think where this will first come up is with cloud computing. Too much testing and data transfer will likely show us a lot of bandwidth waste, which will be charged back.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1201412
Posted Monday, November 7, 2011 7:31 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 4:17 PM
P Jones (11/7/2011)
Another great argument against the use of cursors - thanks!

Indeed, rowset cursors are destroying the planet and a threat to mankind. It's time we stopped beating around the bush and got straight to the point. However, I'd also like to call out websites that use Flash and warm stand-by servers.
Post #1201428
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse