Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Commvault Simpana 9 SQL Backups Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, September 4, 2014 2:19 AM
Hi,

We have an ongoing battle with our Infrastructure Architect, where they would like to incorporate all SQL Backups in the same solution as the server and filesystem backups which uses Commvault Simpana 9.

Our current SQL backups are backed up by the native SQL backups, and then bak file backups taken by Commvault.

In the past we attempted to use Commvault 7 with both SQL and Oracle, however this was a nightmare experience where servers ground to a halt, and restores would fail. I am being reassured that the newest versions is a lot better and we would not experience the same issues.

I along with the Oracle DBA's are very skeptical by this statement due to past issues, and in our experience have found no 3rd party app that better backsup SQL/Oracle than the inbuilt tools.

Has anyone had expereince of using Commvault Simpana 9, and can offer any feedback on experiences?

Thanks
Post #1195623
Posted Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:58 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, August 7, 2013 7:56 AM
I am curious if you received any feedback on this question and did you implement the Simpana solution? We are looking at using Simpana 10 and I am the DBA for SQL Server and Oracle and would like to hear from some real-world experience.

Post #1442792
Posted Wednesday, April 17, 2013 7:17 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, September 4, 2014 2:19 AM
Hi,

We created a test lab for both SQL and Oracle using Simpana 9, during the tests we had problems with regards to restoring TDE databases on both Oracle and SQL. Also point in time recovery tended to be hit and miss.

It seemed fine if doing a full nightly backup so we put this on our Tier 3 VM SQL databases, but we experienced problems as seperate team controls the backups and we wern't being alerted on backup failure's. Typically the times we needed to restore were on these occasions.

We have sinced backed up all Oracle and SQL backups to the Tier 1/2 procedure using the Native Tools along with Siampana to backup these individual backup files. We only keep a weeks worth on local/SAN storage. We have found this to be easier and quicker for DB Backup and restores.
Post #1443250
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse