Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

A faster DBCC CHECKDB? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, September 01, 2011 9:20 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:42 AM
Grant Fritchey (8/23/2011)
Excellent code. Nice article. Well explained.

But I have to say, articles like this really do make me nervous. It seems like a very healthy percentage of our fellow database professionals are missing a few fundamentals. Suggesting a way to avoid something as important as DBCC CHECKDB seems rife with potential for disaster. I'd just hate to hear "I was following your advice and now we've lost our production system."

This.

Also, the only way for DBCC CHECKDB to be faster is for Microsoft to fix tempdb so that DBAs can allocate filegroups to temporary storage on a per database (or perhaps even more granular) basis. A global tempdb database used for everything is simply the biggest design flaw in SQL Server today, period.
Post #1168751
Posted Friday, September 09, 2011 4:55 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:37 AM
Come on guys, this is not recommended as an alternative or replacement.
It has to be better than doing nothing inbetween the usual 7 days to a month gap DBCC runs on large DB's

Credit to you Ian!!
Post #1172389
Posted Monday, September 12, 2011 9:02 AM

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, January 23, 2014 2:59 AM
yemi_aderele (9/9/2011)
Come on guys, this is not recommended as an alternative or replacement. It has to be better than doing nothing inbetween the usual 7 days to a month gap DBCC runs on large DB's

Credit to you Ian!!

I agree with Yemi, although I will also not use it because of the DBCC DROPCLEANBUFFERS.
Especially liked the idea of the whole check stopping early when an error is detected.
Post #1173524
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse