Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

The Intelligence Cloud Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 10:12 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Intelligence Cloud

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1101419
Posted Monday, May 2, 2011 2:58 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, June 3, 2014 8:16 AM
As I posted in a related topic to this one, regarding your questions or statements

However what is a private cloud here? Isn't it just an outsourced set of systems hosted elsewhere? It seems as though many companies and journalists are selling the cloud as some sort of new technology? Isn't it just a set of hosted servers that are just virtual machines? Or is it just a set of servers that are standardized somehow in their configuration and capabilities?

I'd say the answer is yes. All thou the cloud could offer some more functionality like load balancing.

But all in all, it's just a new way in how to package and sell virtual environments and cpu, ram and disk.
Post #1101468
Posted Monday, May 2, 2011 4:09 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Sunday, September 8, 2013 5:39 PM
"Military Intelligence Cloud". Like mixing gasoline, water, & fire.

James Stover, McDBA
Post #1101493
Posted Monday, May 2, 2011 6:14 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:01 AM
I think someone slipped up and let a marketing type look at a spec document for someone's network. They saw this cloud-shaped thing and decided it was marketable.

Here's the problem. Most of the world thinks of "The Web" and "The Internet" as the same thing. So when you start trying to market something decidedly non-webby you need a new term for it. "The Cloud" is just a bunch of internet services that most of us have been using for years. We could purchase hosting services on the other side of the world that would provide everything "The Cloud" is promising today. Or we could set up our own sites (or colocation) locally or remotely to give us that functionality.

Personally, I'm not trusting my corporate data to any server that I can't lay my hands on. There are federal laws and regulations (HIPAA, SARBOX, etc) that make me nervous about such things.
Post #1101522
Posted Monday, May 2, 2011 6:35 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, October 18, 2013 9:05 AM
Hit the nail right on the head!
Post #1101529
Posted Monday, May 2, 2011 6:52 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, May 6, 2011 6:31 AM
I recently decided to look into cloud service for a customer that looked to be a good fit. While there is a lot of talk ("This will be up and running soon!"), the reality I found was very slim. Outside the fortune 500 or 1000 groups, I saw nothing that offered any real benefit to a small business over local services. I did find one offering that looked good and the customer is happy with it. That falls way short of 'cloud everywehere' we are being bombarded with by Microsoft and other mainstream players.

Like many new technologies, the marketing departments are way out in front of the reality department.
Post #1101544
Posted Monday, May 2, 2011 7:11 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, October 20, 2014 11:55 AM
I took a Systems Analysis class recently, and they were "explaining" the Cloud as anything you access that doesn't run on your computer. I made a nuisance of myself by loudly complaining how incredibly wrong that was. They referenced those stupid "to the Cloud!" commercials as 'proof'

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #1101552
Posted Monday, May 2, 2011 7:17 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:26 PM
"The Cloud" = "Outsourcing"

Maybe not all components, maybe not personell but really how about a remote data center or data center rental space...

"The Cloud" is nothing new but is a marketing piece to advance its use to the next level. I love when decisions are made by marketing not by true cost benefit and functionality assesment.
Post #1101556
Posted Monday, May 2, 2011 7:53 AM
SSC-Addicted

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:42 AM
kent.kester (5/2/2011)
I think someone slipped up and let a marketing type look at a spec document for someone's network. They saw this cloud-shaped thing and decided it was marketable.

Personally, I'm not trusting my corporate data to any server that I can't lay my hands on. There are federal laws and regulations (HIPAA, SARBOX, etc) that make me nervous about such things.

Amen!

I am a firm believer that a true cloud environment is a bad, bad idea. First, we no longer have control over the security of the data. Second, we no longer have control over the performance of the data store. Third, we no longer have what is almost a guaranteed connection to the data (our network almost never has issues, think Amazon before you - not referring to Kent here - debate this point!) Fourth, companies close, so we no longer can guarantee the longevity of our data, nor our ownership of it.

In my experience, companies who lose a customer do not really care how difficult it is for that customer to extract their data to load into the replacement system. This is far worse, because we aren't in a situation where we can just power the server on when we need it, we actually have to keep paying huge fees just in case we need to access historical data.

Now there are exceptions of course. I personally don't think it is a good idea now, and I have doubts as to whether it ever will be.

Dave
Post #1101570
Posted Monday, May 2, 2011 8:07 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:53 PM
Steve, you finally pulled back the curtain to show that the great and powerful "Cloud" is really a marketing humbug (at least the way they are pitching it).

Some companies may benefit from the cloud but they better be keeping a close eye on their investment to make sure it is delivering the value they expect.

...and one other thing: who takes the blame when someone walks off with your precious data or the cloud vanishes because the vender comes under attack? You do!
Post #1101583
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse