Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Normal Forms Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 12:16 AM
Jeff Moden (4/30/2011)
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/30/2011)
HA, I like NULLs. I might ask for two articles, one pro and one con.

I like NULLs, as well. I was just thinking of the insanely long threads where people keep saying that NULLs aren't a part of a true relational database and Codd this and Date that and yada-yada-yada. I keep thinking "who gives a rat's patooti?" and that I hope I never run into a true relational database because it will even make Oracle look good.

I like NULLs too. Of course I believe that a true relational system has to support them (after all, it has to support outer union and outer join, and they will certainly produce nulls). So I don't think a true relational system has to do badly.

But I do love reminding the anti-null fundamentalists that Ted Codd, the inventor of their holy relational model, stated clearly and plainly and very publicly that a system without decent NULL support could not be a relational system.

Tom
Post #1101293
Posted Sunday, May 01, 2011 9:13 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 8:53 AM
That's why I'm glad you decided to take this on, Tom. No BS and personal opinions would be identified as such instead of being identified as gospel. I think you'd bring the practical side to the article that Steve is looking for someone to write and that I'd like to read. I almost can't wait.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

"Change is inevitable. Change for the better is not." -- 04 August 2013
(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1101324
Posted Sunday, May 01, 2011 1:48 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 10:09 AM
I don't care who does it, but if Tom gets one in while anyone else's is in the Q, I'll go with Tom.

Tom, no great hurry and I'll let you know if I get something else. Doesn't have to be long. I'd figure 1-1.5 page of text with a few examples that show tables being moved from non-1NF->1NF would be fine.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1101367
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse