Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««12345»»

PolyServe replacement options Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:32 AM
Vultar,

Have you converter from Polyserve to Windows 2008 R2 clusters yet? If so how did it go. Have you heard anything more about the end of life for Polyserve? We will be moving our database off of Polyserve to Windows 2008 R2 servers running on vMware. Any lessons learned from your swith over would be appriecated.

Thanks,

Bob

vultar (10/13/2011)
I don't think we'd be able to persuade management to go for another 3rd party clustering solution after the Polyserve fiasco!

We've decided to swap it out for Windows 2008 R2 clusters with a majority node and fileshare config.

Cheers

Vultar
Post #1290817
Posted Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:13 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, January 3, 2013 10:10 AM
Bob,

You may want to check out DxConsole. It will allow you to preserve the savings you've gained using PolyServe and it supports VMware nodes.

Here's a recent review of DxConsole from Mike Matchett at the Taneja Group.

http://tanejagroup.com/news/blog/systems-and-technology/dh2i-getting-mission-critical-apps-virtualized

dbox
Post #1290834
Posted Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:22 AM
Forum Newbie

Don,

Thanks for the link. But I'm in the same boat as Vultar. I don't think my director will go for a 3rd party SQL clustering solution after the problems we've had with Polyserve. But I will give it an open-minded read. Have you heard anything about the EOL of Polyserve?

Anyway thanks for the link.

Best Regards,

Bob
Post #1290839
Posted Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:29 AM
Forum Newbie

Bob,

PolyServe entered EOL late 2012. It is now in End-of-Life Support status. Support will end late 2013.

Regarding DxConsole...I understand the hesitation. I will say that we have a number current PolyServe users in pilot and they really like the product.

dbox
Post #1290850
Posted Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:30 AM
Forum Newbie

Sorry PolyServe enter EOL late 2010.
Post #1290851
Posted Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:43 AM
Forum Newbie

Don,

Thanks for the info. It is interesting that we have a support contract with HP Polyserve and we have not been notified by HP that their product had entered EOL two years ago. But maybe that is up to the end user to find out. Shame on me. But in my defense until I ran across this forum it has been hard to get anything other than rumor and guesses from anyone. I find this interesting and distrubing at the same time. Several months ago I was on the phone for support on an issue we were having. I could make the guy I was talking to understand my problem and emails to his supervisor for a change of tech went unanswered. Now I think I know why. In the end he refused to provide support because we didn't have a NIC set up the way he wanted. Said that we had an unsupported configuration which is funny because we set it up exactly as the documentation had stated back in 2007. He couldn't send me a link to the documentation of the "supported" configuration and so now we just live with the problem and hope we can make the switch off of Polyserve very soon.

I will take a look at your product and again thanks for the Polyserve update. I'm going to touch base with my boss man and ask him if in this conversations with HP or our HP vendor if they had mentioned that Polyserve is end of life.

Thanks,

Bob
Post #1290874
Posted Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:51 AM
Forum Newbie

Bob,

I know the message went out late 2010, but it seldom reaches the end-user.

http://www.dh2i.com/index.php/products/dx-console-for-sql-server/dxconsole-polyserve-comparison

dbox
Post #1290885
Posted Friday, April 27, 2012 2:26 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:00 AM
bobfirek (4/26/2012)
Vultar,

Have you converter from Polyserve to Windows 2008 R2 clusters yet? If so how did it go. Have you heard anything more about the end of life for Polyserve? We will be moving our database off of Polyserve to Windows 2008 R2 servers running on vMware. Any lessons learned from your swith over would be appriecated.

Thanks,

Bob

[/quote]

Hello Bob,

I feel your pain with this. We've not quite finished the migrations, but we're very close.

Only advice really is to be thorough with the testing of your new windows cluster and work through as many possible disaster scenarios as you can. This was something that I should have spent more time on when implementing Polyserve. The other piece of advice is to work through any migrations in a test environment first, that way you can find any connection strings / port no.s that need to be changed.. all very standard!

A major plus point of Windows clustering for me is, that if I find an error I can google it and get some good answers!

Cheers

Vultar
Post #1291330
Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 6:54 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 7:07 AM
Hi,

We're still currently using Polyserve and have been looking at implementing SANBolic Melio and Windows clustering, however after a lot of testing (that hasn't gone very well) we're looking for some other way of managing storage. Has anyone successfully moved from Polyserve to a Windows cluster?

We've got quite a few instances so will hit the drive letter limit (I know you can use mount points but when they failover so does the drive letter, meaning a few instances have to move at the same time which isn't what we want).

SANBolic neatly got round the drive letter problem as you can set the same drive letter on each server. The only other product I can find that does something similar is IBM GPFS.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Post #1402343
Posted Thursday, January 3, 2013 10:18 AM
Forum Newbie

Dale53,

You should checkout DxConsole from DH2i (www.dh2i.com). It is the plug replacement for PolyServe. We have many PolyServe customers who have migrated to DxConsole. If you like the way PolyServe enables you to manage SQL Server, by virtualizing at the instance-level, you'll love DxConsole. It has all the features you've always wanted in PolyServe but never got.

dbox
Post #1402470
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««12345»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse