Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

copy files through network to another server Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:52 PM
I'm planning to upgrade sql server 2005 to 2008. For now I'm just planning on it. If we use side by side upgrade, we will have to either copy data files to another server, or copy backup files to another server.
They are quite large size files. What are the best way to copy them? Currently, I only know manually use copy then paste to another \\serverB\$D\Data or \\serverB\$D\backup. Any other way of doing that for faster copy?

Thanks
Post #1094682
Posted Sunday, April 17, 2011 9:16 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 10:05 AM
Restore from tape maybe?

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1094695
Posted Monday, April 18, 2011 2:09 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 8:18 AM
Jeff Moden (4/17/2011)
Restore from tape maybe?

Of course, if they don't have the tape drive directly connected to the SQL server itself (or SAN, if they're using one) that would just come back to a network transfer under a different name...
Post #1094773
Posted Monday, April 18, 2011 5:11 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 10:05 AM
That, most definitely, would be true.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1094833
Posted Monday, April 18, 2011 7:11 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 10:19 AM
I have helped several clients with this and often the fastest mechanism is USB drive(s). If you do have multiple USB 2.0 ports on separate busses on the server you can get good very good transfer rates. Write out your backups to a number of files equal to the USB drive count. If you are at the high end I have even had companies buy cheapo direct attached storage and moved files that way. Sneakernet can be WAY faster than the existing network, and it doesn't affect existing operations either.

Best,

Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru at GMail
Post #1094903
Posted Monday, April 18, 2011 8:08 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 2:11 PM
I had to lookup Sneakernet on Wiki , already anticipating installing something ultra fast on my network;

That one made my day.

Lowell

--There is no spoon, and there's no default ORDER BY in sql server either.
Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #1094994
Posted Monday, April 18, 2011 10:46 AM
SSCommitted

The total size files are about 100 gb.

Can I use RoboCopy, never used it before, just heard it is faster?

Do I need to download something in order to run the command, and what is the syntax to copy all the files from one server to another?

Thanks
Post #1095151
Posted Tuesday, April 19, 2011 1:36 AM
SSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 8:18 AM
I can't see any reason why Robocopy would be any faster than using a normal copy from a command prompt--it's not like it compresses the data it's copying or anything like that! It might be a bit faster than copying using the GUI, but even then, probably not enough of a difference to be worth worrying about.

How big are the files we're talking here, anyway?
Post #1095446
Posted Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:35 AM
SSCommitted

The total size may be around 100gb.
Post #1095746
Posted Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:59 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, October 6, 2014 11:34 AM
If you have limited bandwith, you could zip the backup to make it smaller.

Keep in mind, it will take some time to zip and unzip the backup, so this only really saves you time if you have limited bandwidth.

Post #1095831
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse