Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Tax Day Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 9:56 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Tax Day

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1093890
Posted Friday, April 15, 2011 12:28 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, June 3, 2014 8:16 AM
My career is going better or rather, still going good. The crisis never hit me in any way. The company I worked for during the crisis had as a motto to get more people (consultant company) and thus rather than hitting the breaks it hit the gas pedal.
From what I know, most companies with a strong focus on IT kept investing. Some delayed their investments thou.

So from my knowledge, the crisis never hit the IT sector in Sweden.
Post #1093928
Posted Friday, April 15, 2011 12:40 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 6:17 AM
I work in a private bank in the channel islands (I know, I know...). The main impact that I've seen is the slowdown in annual bonus/salary rises. I'm also in the process of fighting for a promotion and a few years ago it would have been passed without question.
Seems to me like (at least in the banking industry) IT is rarely the business area that gets excess funding. When times get hard, it's probably going to be the last department that gets cutbacks. That and the fact that we're seen as providing mission critical infrastructure that directly impacts core revenue streams. I'm sure that's probably not the case in every sector or geographical area though.
Post #1093930
Posted Friday, April 15, 2011 1:51 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, July 4, 2014 9:03 AM
I work in local government, so pay is less, prospects are worse and formal training is none existent.
Post #1093944
Posted Friday, April 15, 2011 2:32 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, June 3, 2014 8:16 AM
paul s-306273 (4/15/2011)
I work in local government, so pay is less, prospects are worse and formal training is none existent.

That sounds horrible. I strongly advice you to consider your options and look around for something else.
Post #1093968
Posted Friday, April 15, 2011 3:52 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Sunday, September 7, 2014 3:18 AM
I got made redundant 18 months ago when the entire Systems Department (around 83 people) was outsourced to two third party companies. My current employer has a much more enlightened approach - yes we use third parties, but the core business knowledge built up over time by us in-house BI/SQL Server developers is retained, and third parties are engaged only when demand outstrips in-house capacity.

So do I feel secure? Well, as secure as anyone can feel nowadays. Additionally, my personal development plan/training schedule is negotiated annually with my boss when we work through my objectives for the year.

Inflatable sailors never die, they gently deflate over time.

Post #1094000
Posted Friday, April 15, 2011 4:56 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 8:35 AM
For years I was a consultant and MS Trainer working with SQL Server. This served be well as I got to experience a lot of different installations and problems. In 2009 I decided I had enough of the travel and not know what the next assignment was going to be and took a job as a full time DBA. I have to say, I love it. I have responsiblity for servers around the world, I got to set them up to my specifications, I determine the jobs, alarms, monitoring, everything. I have automated everything. And as problems arise, I am able to set up alerts, jobs and notifications so that things get better and better. Finally, I am able to practice what I preached for years in the classroom.

Not to mention I am actually making more money and spending less time than I was as a consultant. This year I even get to work on Oracle and we are upgrading to SQL 2008 R2. Life is good.

Raymond Laubert
Exceptional DBA of 2009 Finalist
MCT, MCDBA, MCITP:SQL 2005 Admin,
MCSE, OCP:10g
Post #1094020
Posted Friday, April 15, 2011 5:29 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 5:46 AM
Frankly? I've died and gone to heaven. I won the lottery. I asked the prettiest girl to the prom and she said yes. My code compiled the first time. I dropped the toast and it landed butter-side up.

Financially I haven't improved my situation. In some ways it's a little worse. But in every other regard it's night & day.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1094037
Posted Friday, April 15, 2011 5:43 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Today @ 9:18 AM
I'm significantly better off then I was in 2009 and more secure then I was this time last year. In 2009 I was very unhappy with my job, I quit towards the end of 09, started as a temp employee at a new company in 2010 and haven't looked back. Now I'm a permanent employee and I still love my job.

The opinions expressed herein are strictly personal and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of my employer.
Post #1094040
Posted Friday, April 15, 2011 5:51 AM
SSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, September 11, 2014 10:28 AM
I work for an independant government body and things are worse - our pay has been frozen for last 2 years and probably this coming year (this adds up to about 11% pay drop), pensionable age upped from 65 to 67 and will probably reach 70 by the time I get there, employer pension contributions reduced. Also experiencing major frustration caused by the internal IT being outsourced, everything now costs much more to get done and is implemented in extreme slow-motion.

Probably time for a change.
Post #1094045
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse