Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Industrial-strength database documentation using Extended Properties Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, December 6, 2014 9:55 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Industrial-strength database documentation using Extended Properties
Post #1088449
Posted Tuesday, April 5, 2011 9:02 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
Great article and series.

I am curious though. You use "Description" and SSMS for columns uses "MS_Description". Is that because you are intending the article to be a teaching tool and want to avoid stepping on things?

ATB

Charles Kincaid

Post #1088675
Posted Tuesday, April 5, 2011 9:12 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Hi Charles,
I am using "Description" for a couple of reasons - firstly to show that you can classify metadata comments by your own categorisation types (I have used DataLineage, ToolTip as well) and secondly because I have noticed that views in SSMS use the MS_ prefix - and this way I can avoid MS-based data when outputting.
I don't know if this is good or bad, approved or not - but it seems to work!

Thanks for the feedback!

Adam
Post #1088690
Posted Tuesday, April 5, 2011 9:29 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, September 29, 2014 5:52 AM
XDetails plugin uses MS_Description, as it is standard in SSMS.

Post #1088711
Posted Tuesday, April 5, 2011 12:36 PM
SSC Journeyman

Last Login: Monday, December 1, 2014 10:04 PM
This free tool uses MS_Description as well...

http://www.DBGizmo.net

Post #1088835
Posted Tuesday, April 5, 2011 10:21 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:32 PM
Thanks for the article. Great content.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1089010
Posted Sunday, April 10, 2011 12:27 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, September 18, 2014 1:46 PM
Thanks for the great series of articles. I started using the extended properties when I got a tool that would create database documentation based on those properties.

I found that I had many columns with the same name and were really the same item in various tables. For example, many tables had the "AccountID" column, and all were copies of the same thing (primary key in the Account table, foreign key in all other tables). When writing the statement that creates the sp_addextendedproperty, I found it helpful to try to locate another field with the same name and use that as the default value. That allowed me to save a lot of retyping. Of course, I had to review each generated statement for accuracy and make changes as necessary, but it was better than having to look up what I created for the previous tables and retype or copy/paste every time. For my defaults, I used the most-frequently-used description for columns with the same name.

Again, thanks for the thorough explanation and the helpful examples.
Post #1091184
Posted Sunday, April 10, 2011 12:52 PM
SSC Journeyman

Hi Jonsathan,
You have good ideas there - cross-referencing columns with the same name and reusing repeatable descriptions. Thanks for sharing that.
Adam
Post #1091185
Posted Monday, May 2, 2011 11:49 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Tuesday, May 3, 2011 11:25 AM
Here is one more Free Tool to document Sql Server
Post #1101809
Posted Monday, May 16, 2011 12:02 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, November 4, 2013 2:56 PM
Very informative series of articles. What would be helpful to me would be the ability to combine results from more than one database. We typically have a pair of databases for an application (data and code), and we have quite a few pairs. It would be nice if there could be a single instance of each stored procedure that could be executed against any database. Is there a way to do that?
Post #1109685
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse