Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Third party backup tool breaking the backupset LSN chain Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 7:33 PM
I am attempting to develop a workaround to this issue and was wondering if it is possible to modify the BACKUPSET lSN numbering of a backup so as to skip the piece or pieces of the backup completed by the third party tool so the next transaction log backup starts at the lsn numbering of the backup before the third party tool was run.
Post #1083044
Posted Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:43 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 7:41 PM
The simple answer, no. This information is also stored in the backup (full, differential, t-log) files as well as the tables in msdb.

I'm sure that someone with more knowledge on this could provide a better answer.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1083094
Posted Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:51 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, June 16, 2014 9:38 AM
Can the third party backup tool be configured to make the backup in "copy only" mode? (That should prevent the LSN from being changed and breaking the backup chain.)
Post #1083096
Posted Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:58 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Thinking about it, this third party tool is doing one of two things:

1) Full or Differential backup with a log truncation or swithc of recevery model
2) A transaction log backup

Which is it?

Lynn Pettis

For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables

Post #1083098
Posted Thursday, March 24, 2011 12:00 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 8:47 AM
can you please share the third party backup tool name you using?
I am using litespeed since ages and never had any problem

----------
Ashish
Post #1083099
Posted Thursday, March 24, 2011 12:09 AM

SSC-Insane

From the original post, it appears that the third party tool is being used inconjunction with the native tools. This, in itself, is probably what is causing the problem.

Lynn Pettis

Post #1083100
Posted Thursday, March 24, 2011 4:58 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 6:30 PM
I'd be curious how you're incorporating the 3rd party tool into your native backups, assuming that's what's going on. Also, why.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1083190
Posted Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:02 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 3:46 PM
UMG Developer (3/23/2011)
Can the third party backup tool be configured to make the backup in "copy only" mode? (That should prevent the LSN from being changed and breaking the backup chain.)

Not unless it's log backups that the 3rd party tool is taking. Full backups do not break the log chain.
http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2011/03/08/full-backups-the-log-chain-and-the-copy_only-option/

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1083253
Posted Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:06 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 3:46 PM
In general I've found that mixing backup types (3rd party and native) is not a particularly good idea. Often OK if the 3rd party tool is just a VDI (taking the native backup stream and doing something, typically compression or encryption, to it), not necessarily so OK if it's doing some snapshot backup form

I've successfully had LiteSpeed full and diff backups and native log backups without issue. I have had problems mixing snapshot-type backups with native log backups.

What is the 3rd party backup tool? Have you checked the SQL error log to ensure that there's no switch to simple recovery happening? Have you checked the msdb backup tables to ensure that the 3rd party tool isn't also taking log backups?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1083258
Posted Thursday, March 24, 2011 1:27 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 7:33 PM
Thanks for your comments .The third party tool we are currently using is snap manager for sql server (IBM snap manager on a NetApp appliance) .What i am attempting to do is use log shipping from multi instance failover cluster on sql 2008 R2 server to a duplicate DR server but would like to pause the log shipping and once paused take snaps of the large DBs during upgrades etc. discard the snap shots on successful upgrade and continue with the log shipping if at all possible.
The issue i have here is that i need to be able to delete all trace in sql server that these snap shots ever took place so that when i start the log shipping again it is unaware anything untoward has taken place and technically i not sure that this is even possible .
To break the issue down even further i would like to use log shipping, native backups and snap manager together .
Post #1083570
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse