Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Extended Properties Introduction Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, October 10, 2014 12:58 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Extended Properties Introduction
Post #1079473
Posted Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:26 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, September 29, 2014 5:52 AM
You can easily view column comments with free plugin called XDetails.
Here is screenshot (Description is field with column comments):

You can download it here: www.sqlxdetails.com

Post #1079516
Posted Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:07 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, August 28, 2014 8:41 AM
I fear the spell-checker has struck! You have "ellipse button" where you meant to say "ellipsis button"...
Post #1079538
Posted Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:21 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Doh! Speling wil be my undiong! - Thanks Steve!
Post #1079545
Posted Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:58 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Today @ 3:33 AM
Getting extended properties in is easy enough especially with a bit of help from scripting. It is getting them out again in the form of meaningful documents that is the hard part.
Post #1079564
Posted Thursday, March 17, 2011 5:16 AM
SSC Journeyman

I quite agree - and the next article addresses this problem, in as much as I can.
Post #1079567
Posted Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:00 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:53 PM
Superb article, Adam. It's loaded with info and an easy read to boot. I like your writing style a lot!

This is going into my "must read" locker for newbies. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1079616
Posted Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:22 AM
SSC Journeyman

Thanks Jeff - praise from a leading light like yourself makes my day!
There are three more articles to come (one a week for 3 weeks) which, hopefully, will help newbies not only add, but also extract and update this metadata in a comprehensive manner.
Adam
Post #1079628
Posted Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:53 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Saturday, May 24, 2014 7:58 PM
Adam,

Alternatively, I can just store all I want in my own table, and then I can work with sets of rows, search on any criteria I wish etc., and the next release is less likely break anything.

What would be the disadvantages of rolling my own solution, except for referential integrity?

Post #1079654
Posted Thursday, March 17, 2011 8:15 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:27 PM
Nicely done; looking forward to the rest of the articles.

I created an Excel/VBA solution for my current gig that read in the metadata for the tables and columns into a workbook (one worksheet per table). We then handed that to the analysts/worksmiths to have the descriptions crafted. Once they were done, another button in the workbook parsed through all the Description columns and created or updated the Extended Properties for the objects. Turned out very simple and very little coding. Any updates to the database are easily handled by the VBA code, so maintenance is a breeze (except for the analysts/wordsmiths who have to do the actual updating in the Excel file!). It's a two-way tool, creating the Data Dictionary (in Excel) from the database and using the same tool in turn to update the EP values in the database.
Post #1079668
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse