Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Key Word Searches Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:44 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Key Word Searches
Post #1070308
Posted Monday, February 28, 2011 12:15 AM

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 8:55 AM
Does this make sense. Why would you not use the built in full text search. Its good enough to power sharepoints document search. its built in from 2005 on and can easily index any text field.

Post #1070345
Posted Monday, February 28, 2011 1:37 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 7:57 AM
I agree with Kermit--does this technique offer any benefits over just using full-text search? You can even get SQL Express with full-text search capabilities now!
Post #1070362
Posted Monday, February 28, 2011 1:38 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Sunday, July 20, 2014 11:20 PM
KermitTheRock (2/28/2011)
Does this make sense. Why would you not use the built in full text search. Its good enough to power sharepoints document search. its built in from 2005 on and can easily index any text field.

My thoughts exactly, why re-invent the wheel if full text search is readily available?

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1070363
Posted Monday, February 28, 2011 3:04 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:03 PM
All this have sense if your are going to search in non English text, or in the text with mixed language's words, and whant to support your own search rules: for example if you need to support synonyms: Baltic, Boltic, Boltik, Baltijske..
Post #1070391
Posted Monday, February 28, 2011 3:32 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 1:38 AM
Hi

Please include a link to where Jeff Moden posted his function.

This search turned up this result.

Is that where you got the function from?

Thanks
Andrew
Post #1070395
Posted Monday, February 28, 2011 6:18 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 11:31 AM
AndrewJacksonZA (2/28/2011)
Hi

Please include a link to where Jeff Moden posted his function.

This search turned up this result.

Is that where you got the function from?

Thanks
Andrew

That's likely it. I've only posted it a couple of times so far. As I said in the post, I'm still doing some testing on it for a couple of things including a performance curve in different environments.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1070461
Posted Monday, February 28, 2011 6:34 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 11:31 AM
I was going to post that the result table and the related methods for this code article are nearly identical to what full-text-search (FTS) does but I see that folks beat me to it.

I've not worked with FTS before so I don't know if this article brings anything extra to the table (yet) and I haven't tested the code in this article (yet) BUT... the article appears to be a reasonable study of how FTS may work behind the scenes to build the "index table" and how it uses special tables for "noise words", etc.

Why is that good? Heh... because SQL Server isn't the only database in town. This article shows how it could be done either in other database engines which may not have an FTS capability or in a "custom database".

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1070468
Posted Monday, February 28, 2011 7:28 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 1:38 AM
Or in a lower, cheaper edition.
Post #1070513
Posted Monday, February 28, 2011 7:47 AM
Grasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:25 AM
I've been using FTS on a view composed of several tables, and this method works pretty well, as I can return ranked results using "contains table". Not sure if the method above allows for ranked results?

Also, you don't mention what happens if someone searches for "Hex Nuts" as opposed to "Hex Nut"...how do you account for that? I've resorted to stemming the search terms when the last characters are "s", "es", etc.

Does anyone have any links for "predictive" search solutions in MSSQL, to catch misspellings, etc?
Post #1070529
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse