Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««12345

Point-in-time restore Expand / Collapse
Author
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, December 12, 2014 5:31 AM
David Todd-242471 (2/24/2011)
Hi Folks,

I've been thinking about this question, and looked through a fair bunch of Paul Randal's stuff around this issue and figure that the correct answer is actually missing: For me the correct answer is:
Maybe. Mabye you can recover to point-in-time, if there are no minimally logged entries in the log, or you are covered by a differential backup or whatever, but don't be an idiot and count on it.

Smart practice is not to see what you can get away with, but to make sure you do everything that you can not get away without.

Paul, in responding to the thought that now you have two full backups you can delete the oldest one, said something like: How do you know the current backup isn't corrupt? If it is corrupt then you need that backup you are about to delete!

Regards
David

The answer given was effectively "maybe, if there are not minimally logged entries in the log", but to go any further than that and add caveats about viable full and differential backups being available, no necessary backups being corrupted, lost or stolen etc would have over-complicated what was meant to be a simple question!

The point was not really to say "this is what you can get away with" but rather to say that if someone came to you in desperation with a database using the bulk-logged recovery model and wanting point-in-time recovery, you would not say "that's impossible" without checking their backups first.

Cheers,

Duncan
Post #1069710
Posted Saturday, June 25, 2011 2:09 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 10:18 AM
I didn't refer to BOL. I was confident about this since I was reading this for my 432 exam. Well, I didn't get this one. I'm going to test this. Thanks for the question.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hai Ton
My Db4Breakfast blog.
Post #1131591
Posted Saturday, June 25, 2011 2:22 AM

Old Hand

Patrick2525 (2/16/2011)
Yes, it's very frustrating trying to study for the exams when the study guides are wrought with errors and contradictions. I wish those things were peer reviewed. However, these SSC QOTD, along with the peer discussions, keeps me on my toes

I agree with you. I guess the best study guide is BOL.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hai Ton
My Db4Breakfast blog.
Post #1131593
Posted Saturday, June 25, 2011 2:28 AM

Old Hand

Shawn Melton (2/16/2011)
Patrick2525 (2/16/2011)
Yes, it's very frustrating trying to study for the exams when the study guides are wrought with errors and contradictions. I wish those things were peer reviewed. However, these SSC QOTD, along with the peer discussions, keeps me on my toes

Most publishers put an errata page on their site that ties to the book title. O'Reilly (which controls Microsoft Press book titles now) do this. If you check the site for your book it should list exact pages of information that was found to be incorrect after publishing.

Good point. There're errors/typos in almost every books even BOL.

Hai Ton
My Db4Breakfast blog.
Post #1131594
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««12345

Permissions Expand / Collapse