Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««34567»»»

The SSIS Data Pump - Step 2 of the Stairway to Integration Services Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, October 16, 2012 12:15 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 9:24 AM
A couple things I think need clarification:

Figure 12

Click the New button here to define a new data connection using the Connection Manager Editor. Earlier I wrote the connection managers handle things like database engine instance and database name. This is where we configure those items:

I believe you mean to say "Earlier I wrote that the connection....." Amazing how missing one word can make a sentence confusing.

Figure 13

The server name can be typed into or selected from the Server Name dropdown. Once the server name is configured, SSIS actually connects to the server and retrieves a list of databases. You can enter or select the database in the “Select or enter a database name” dropdown. In this case, I connected to the (local) instance of SQL Server and selected the AdventureWorks database.

I think you skipped something here. What if a person new to this does not have a local instance of SQL server created? Will they know how to do this?

Also, unless I'm misunderstanding something, Persons.Contact seems to be a pre-made table, and I don't see you referencing it anywhere until it's being used. When I follow the steps of the tutorial, that table is not associated with my project.
Post #1373453
Posted Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:38 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, December 16, 2013 9:12 AM
Hello, could you tell me what you are referring to (under "Play Along at home") by "Open (or create) the SSIS project named My_First_SSIS_Project from SSIS Quickstart: Business Intelligence Development Studio and Your First SSIS Project."?

Not sure what/where SSIS Quickstart: Business Intelligence Development Studio and Your First SSIS Project might be. Could you turn that into a hyperlink pointing to whatever you're talking about?

Thanks!
Post #1373497
Posted Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:49 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Oops, just noticed a previous reply about the same thing.

However, in the link in your reply, it just takes me to Step One of the SSIS Stairway. I still can't make the connection between what you say in Step Two and its reference to Step One.

What exactly was supposed to have been done in Step One to be ready for Step Two. Nothing looks like an "Action Item" in Step One.

Or in other words, what are you expecting to be already in place before starting to create My_First_SSIS_Project.

PS: Luckily I already knew, but it seems you could improve this by pointing out how to connect to SQL in "Integration Services" mode rather than the normal "Database Connection" mode, that could throw a few people.

Thanks!
Post #1373506
Posted Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:57 PM
SSC Rookie

OK, I am fully confused. I created a "First_SSIS_Project" project, and now have an empty solution that looks like:

First_SSIS_Project
- Connections
- Queries
- Miscellaneous

Now what do I do? Your next words are "From the Control Flow toolbox, drag a Data Flow Task onto the Control Flow canvas." but no words on how to open the Control Flow canvas or how to create Package.dtsx.

Sorry, remember, I am completely inexperienced with SSIS, so even absolute beginner steps are needed with such things.

Thanks again!
Post #1373513
Posted Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:58 PM
SSC Rookie

What version of AdventureWorks are you using? This example fails with AdventureWorks for SQL Server R2.

Person.Contact doesn't exist anymore, it's been broken into separate tables for EmailAddress, etc.
Post #1373538
Posted Thursday, October 18, 2012 6:48 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 1:39 PM
ben.kimball (10/16/2012)
What version of AdventureWorks are you using? This example fails with AdventureWorks for SQL Server R2.

Person.Contact doesn't exist anymore, it's been broken into separate tables for EmailAddress, etc.

Hi Ben,

A backup of the AdventureWorks database I use may be found here.

Hope this helps,
Andy

Andy Leonard
CSO, Linchpin People
Follow me on Twitter: @AndyLeonard
Post #1374304
Posted Thursday, October 18, 2012 9:55 AM
SSC Rookie

Thank you so much! :)
Post #1374464
Posted Thursday, October 18, 2012 7:37 PM

Old Hand

ben.kimball (10/16/2012)
Oops, just noticed a previous reply about the same thing.

However, in the link in your reply, it just takes me to Step One of the SSIS Stairway. I still can't make the connection between what you say in Step Two and its reference to Step One.

What exactly was supposed to have been done in Step One to be ready for Step Two. Nothing looks like an "Action Item" in Step One.

Hi Ben,

When we started this series, I started writing the first three articles together. I wrote a few different versions of Step 1 which were renamed and which had different content. I updated the content of Steps 2 and 3 to adjust, but I obviously missed some of the changes n content and the name change for Step 1 in at least one place in Step 2.

I apologize for any confusion this has caused.

Andy

Andy Leonard
CSO, Linchpin People
Post #1374625
Posted Thursday, October 18, 2012 7:50 PM

Old Hand

joresnik (10/16/2012)
Figure 13

The server name can be typed into or selected from the Server Name dropdown. Once the server name is configured, SSIS actually connects to the server and retrieves a list of databases. You can enter or select the database in the “Select or enter a database name” dropdown. In this case, I connected to the (local) instance of SQL Server and selected the AdventureWorks database.

I think you skipped something here. What if a person new to this does not have a local instance of SQL server created? Will they know how to do this?

Hi Joresnik,

While I understand your point, I disagree. This series is focused on learning to develop data integration solutions with SSIS.

Also, unless I'm misunderstanding something, Persons.Contact seems to be a pre-made table, and I don't see you referencing it anywhere until it's being used. When I follow the steps of the tutorial, that table is not associated with my project.

A backup of the AdventureWorks database I use may be found here.

Hope this helps,
Andy

Andy Leonard
CSO, Linchpin People
Post #1374626
Posted Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:14 PM

Old Hand

ben.kimball (10/16/2012)
OK, I am fully confused. I created a "First_SSIS_Project" project, and now have an empty solution that looks like:

First_SSIS_Project
- Connections
- Queries
- Miscellaneous

Now what do I do?

Hi Ben,

I believe you created a new project in SQL Server Management Studio and not in SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio. My first article in the series did not do a good job of explaining how to create a new SSIS solution. I have edited the first article and hope the updates will be published soon.

Sorry, remember, I am completely inexperienced with SSIS, so even absolute beginner steps are needed with such things.

Ben, you are my target audience. You have no reason to apologize. I apologize for not writing an article clear-enough for you to know exactly how to create the desired project type.

Andy

Andy Leonard
CSO, Linchpin People
Post #1374627
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««34567»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse