Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

The SSIS Data Pump - Step 2 of the Stairway to Integration Services Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, November 10, 2013 11:52 AM
Andy,
Why have you referred to it as a Data Pump?

Jamie Thomson
http://sqlblog.com/blogs/jamie_thomson
Post #1089266
Posted Wednesday, April 6, 2011 8:08 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Saturday, November 15, 2014 1:58 AM
I have not actually read the article yet. I'm just asking about these paragraphs that seem to be a little jumbled.

First, SSIS will never store or save decrypted password fields. If your connection requires a password, and you check the Save My Password (or Save Password, depending on the version of SSIS you’re running) checkbox, and your SSIS package is encrypted.

SSIS will store your password internally and encrypted if you use Windows Authentication, the Connection Manager will connect to the database in the context of the user who executes the package.

I think that you really meant to say:

First, SSIS will never store or save decrypted password fields. If your connection requires a password, and you check the Save My Password (or Save Password, depending on the version of SSIS you’re running) checkbox, and your SSIS package is encrypted, then SSIS will store your password internally and encrypted. If you use Windows Authentication, the Connection Manager will connect to the database in the context of the user who executes the package.
Post #1089291
Posted Wednesday, April 6, 2011 10:23 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, December 15, 2014 2:46 PM
Jamie,

Uh oh. What's wrong with referring to the Data Flow Task as a data pump?

John,

Yep - I missed that. You worded it correctly.

:{>

Andy Leonard
CSO, Linchpin People
Follow me on Twitter: @AndyLeonard
Post #1089389
Posted Wednesday, April 6, 2011 10:31 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Sunday, November 10, 2013 11:52 AM
Andy Leonard (4/6/2011)
Jamie,

Uh oh. What's wrong with referring to the Data Flow Task as a data pump?

What other than "that's not what it is called"? Nothing, nothing at all!

Sorry, I'm a bit of a terminology zealot - I just think it could be risky using wrong terms because then people start to misuse them and that's where communication breakdowns begin (I speak as someone that has spent a lot of time on forums trying to understand what people *really* mean)

Jamie Thomson
http://sqlblog.com/blogs/jamie_thomson
Post #1089395
Posted Wednesday, April 6, 2011 10:41 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, December 15, 2014 2:46 PM
Thanks Jamie,

I think you're being prudent and that I was sloppy with my terminology. It's ok to make analogies, but it's best to keep them out of the title of a major article. Good point. I will avoid this going forward.

Thanks!
Andy

Andy Leonard
CSO, Linchpin People
Follow me on Twitter: @AndyLeonard
Post #1089404
Posted Wednesday, April 6, 2011 6:07 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:37 PM
great article and easy to follow.. cannot wait to see the next ones. thanks a lot.
Post #1089650
Posted Friday, April 8, 2011 7:14 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, December 11, 2014 1:49 AM
Hi Andy,

I wish i had got your article back when I started working with SSIS 2.5 years ago. A great article. It covers great detail and is yet simple for all to understand. I also found myself looking for Step: 3. lol!!! In fact I will spread the word of your work. I'm certain my team member can benefit from your articles.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next installment.

Aquila Hanise
BI Developer
South Africa
Post #1090600
Posted Sunday, April 10, 2011 11:56 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:52 PM
Another great article Andy!

I found it very nice that you gave some attention to the layout of the package, as unfortunately, messy control and data flows do appear in books or blog posts.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1091255
Posted Saturday, August 6, 2011 8:26 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, June 6, 2014 12:21 PM
An Excellent article Andy. I am a beginner of SSIS and this article makes me everything so clear and easy. I am really waiting forward for next articles.
Post #1155626
Posted Saturday, October 8, 2011 3:11 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 5:19 AM
Fine and professional article, thanks! It has been well written and easy to follow. A great resource for starting out with SSIS.
Post #1187462
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse