Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Clouds Are In our Future Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, October 24, 2014 12:43 PM
One issue I never see mentioned are leagl requirements for auditability. There are many types of database-centric applications that are legally required to keep data on premises; for example, pharmacies. The first thing pharmacy auditors do is that they lock the door and then they disconnect the computer. Brokerage systems must keep their databases within the jurisdiction that licensed them.

Like or not, for tyhese apps you would have to change the law before you would even consider security.
Post #1041937
Posted Monday, January 3, 2011 6:13 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 2:08 PM
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/3/2011)
Jeff Moden (1/3/2011)
If someone doesn't already have enough reasons to avoid the cloud, here is a recent post that may contain some additional reasons you may not have been aware of...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1041653-392-1.aspx

Rumor also has it that you can't do a SELECT/INTO on a Temp Table in Azure. Does anyone happen to have a convenient list of all the things you can't do in Azure that you can do in a real instance of SQL Server?

The cloud fits in places, but there are limitations right now. The SQL Azure team is enhancing it quickly, and I believe that all future tools, i.e. SSMS, will work seemlessly with Azure and non-cloud databases.

Here's a list of some limitations: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee336245.aspx

Good link. Thanks, Steve.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1042111
Posted Monday, January 3, 2011 8:13 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, September 25, 2014 3:40 PM
Below is the official Microsoft doc on limitations. It seems like every which way I turn, I bump up against SOME limitation. Then there's the lack of tooling. R2 FINALLY adds object browser support to SSMS for Azure DBs, but with MANY limitations. Moving db's around between Azure and production/qa servers is very frustrating as well. Although, I came across the SQLAzureMigrationWizard, which is a wonderful (free) tool. I'm trying to talk my company down. SQL Azure feels like a "toy". Personally, I think MS rushed SQL Azure out the door before it was ready. I think SQL Server "as a service" is proving much more difficult than MS thought.

And to Steve's point, my company was wondering why we are getting $1000.00 bills for Azure. Very simple all our developers/testers are using the cloud db as if it was local... jeez. $1000.00 per month buys some pretty nice REAL SQL Server space somewhere!

[url=http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee336245.aspx][/url]

Post #1042130
Posted Monday, January 10, 2011 6:51 PM

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, October 24, 2014 6:58 AM
BSavoie (1/3/2011)And to Steve's point, my company was wondering why we are getting $1000.00 bills for Azure. Very simple all our developers/testers are using the cloud db as if it was local... jeez. $1000.00 per month buys some pretty nice REAL SQL Server space somewhere!

When you change the way you host and deploy applications, you need to change the way that you develop them. There are a number of tools that your developers can use to mimic an Azure environment on their local machines instead of burning through company money in production. There are going to be some growing pains, it stinks that yours ended up costing money.

Jeremiah Peschka
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Managing Director - Brent Ozar PLF, LLC
Post #1045658
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse