Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Automate Sliding Window Partition Maintenance: Part III Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, December 27, 2010 10:05 PM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, November 7, 2014 9:28 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Automate Sliding Window Partition Maintenance: Part III

Post #1039626
Posted Tuesday, April 1, 2014 11:23 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 6:59 AM
I wouldn't have used PoSH for any of this but this is a nice series you've put together. Thanks for taking the time.

Shifting gears a bit, the title of this article is "Automate Sliding Window Partitions". You mentioned that you ran the scripts manually for a couple of months but (unless I missed it), you never mentioned how you scheduled these to run automatically each month. What did you use to put it all together on a scheduled basis? Or, is there an up and coming Part IV to this series that will explain how to do that?

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1557314
Posted Wednesday, April 2, 2014 11:08 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Friday, November 7, 2014 9:28 AM
It's been a few years, but I seem to recall that I used PoSH because I had trouble getting T-SQL to handle some of the filesystem checks (eg, check for default data file location, check for space). If that sounds vague, it is...I really don't remember.

Ultimately, I did automate the tasks via SQL Agent scheduled task. We would run the script about 3-5 days before the end of the month. That way if it did fail, I'd have a day or two to fix things up before month end rolled around and data would start loading. In the end, we never had an issue with the script failing in production. We only had an issue in non-production (as I recall, the issue would only arise if we refreshed the non-production database after production had run the merge/switch routine).

We recently turned off this solution because we stopped using the database (because we switched to a new product with a new [non-existent] BI solution). The business is only now beginning to realize how much they have lost due to the switch. But that's a story for a different day...

Regards,

Hugh Scott

Post #1557613
Posted Wednesday, April 2, 2014 2:38 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 6:59 AM
Thanks, Hugh. I appreciate the feedback.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1557697
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse