Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««34567»»»

How to receive Deadlock information automatically via email. Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Friday, September 21, 2012 7:10 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 10:14 PM
Don't forget that in SQL 2005 +, that the default trace (which starts automatically) captures deadlock graph information. So you can set up a job that fires when this event is raised, and just query that trace file to get the deadlock graph.

If you need help viewing the deadlock graph or figuring out what is going on, I have some code in the "Code Library" section of my blog for reading the deadlock graph and presenting the information in tabular form. It can be found here. This code shows how to get the deadlock graph from the default trace - you could use this in the routine that sends you the notification email.

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1362644
Posted Saturday, September 22, 2012 8:22 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 11:52 PM
I made it about two years ago with ı found it in msdn your method is very nice too.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186385.aspx

Post #1363106
Posted Sunday, September 23, 2012 11:15 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, October 9, 2014 4:02 AM
Nice article Geoff, I would like to request can u please help us to implement this type of deadlock alert notification proactively rather than re-actively.
Post #1363333
Posted Monday, September 24, 2012 9:30 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:01 AM
abhijitshedulkar (9/23/2012)
Nice article Geoff, I would like to request can u please help us to implement this type of deadlock alert notification proactively rather than re-actively.

How would you get a deadlock alert notification proactively? In order for it to be proactive you'd have to get the alert BEFORE the deadlock occurs. I don't think that is possible. An expert could probably come in and do a code review and point to areas that could be prone to deadlocks.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Post #1363566
Posted Monday, September 24, 2012 9:43 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, February 16, 2013 8:50 AM
This is great and helpful, however, we had to go a little further. We have a severe load of code production deployments as our DBA responsibilities, so we are not always available to deal with Head Blocks right away, but just as soon as possible. Also, Head BLocks occurred as normal part of different processes and they last for a matter of a few seconds, so we do not need to know about all head blocks, but the long lasting ones. So for coping both needs, to be able to check later on and to report only the long lasting ones, we created a process that logs the Activity monitor entries (all columns) for head blocks to a table, and specific code process email alerts for only head blocks longer that 5 minutes. Furthermore, saving historical has increased our Knowledge of what goes on in many other counters, which opens a wide range of possibilities for activity research, analysis, and subsequent corrective actions.
Post #1363575
Posted Monday, September 24, 2012 2:05 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, August 28, 2014 7:35 AM
I am also loving this! Thanks for contributing!
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1351590-146-1.aspx

Recently, Grant Fritchey suggested that I stick with Trace Flag 1222 only (see this link). I tried that with your code and pretty much got a blank email - no useful information. So, I went with all three trace flags, and I got much more information in the email. Unfortunately, it still did not bring down the hostname information and clientapp. Sure, we can go to the errorlog to still get it, but I don't see a good way to get that out of the errorlog and into the email. Anyone else see a good way to do it?

Del Lee
Post #1363710
Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:12 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, July 28, 2014 11:16 AM
Love the script but wanted to be able to deploy this quicker. The final step of creating an alert I simply switched to TSQL and it achieves the same result without having to use the wizard:

--THIS GETS RUN AFTER THE JOB IS CREATED AND WILL CREATE THE ALERT
USE [msdb]
GO

declare
@jobid uniqueidentifier

set @jobid = isnull((select job_id from msdb.dbo.sysjobs where name = 'Deadlock Job'),'00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000')
set @jobid = LTRIM(rtrim(@jobid))
IF @jobid = '00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000'
BEGIN
RAISERROR('The deadlock job could not be found. Aborting!', 16, 1)
RETURN
END

IF EXISTS (SELECT name FROM msdb.dbo.sysalerts WHERE name = N'DeadlockAlert')
BEGIN
RAISERROR('The alert already exists. Aborting!',16,1)
RETURN
END
EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_add_alert @name=N'DeadlockAlert',
@message_id=0,
@severity=0,
@enabled=1,
@delay_between_responses=60,
@include_event_description_in=0,
@category_name=N'[Uncategorized]',
@performance_condition=N'SQLServer:Locks|Number of Deadlocks/sec|_Total|>|0',
@job_id= @jobid
GO
Post #1364773
Posted Tuesday, December 25, 2012 8:38 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Monday, April 15, 2013 11:42 PM
Nice article.
Post #1400072
Posted Tuesday, December 25, 2012 10:28 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, July 28, 2014 11:16 AM
This was working like a champ for about a month and then suddenly SQL would email me and it would always say 0 rows affected. Anybody else run across this?
Post #1400087
Posted Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:57 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 1:36 AM
Hi ,
I am getting email when a deadlock happens but i am getting a blank attachment due to which i am not able to know the actual cause of the deadlock
Post #1423914
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««34567»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse