Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

How Do You Work When You are Not at Work? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, December 11, 2010 12:19 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, January 10, 2014 7:20 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item How Do You Work When You are Not at Work?

Brad M. McGehee
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Director of DBA Education, Red Gate Software
www.bradmcgehee.com
Post #1033359
Posted Saturday, December 11, 2010 7:49 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:36 PM
Hi Brad,

My company is too tight to give us a blackberry so we need to rely on a call out by some one else if there is an issue. Normally to resolve issues I dial in via citrix.
Post #1033414
Posted Saturday, December 11, 2010 10:26 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 11:20 AM
hello,
its a very intersted topic :)
i normally get a phone call from someone else n use vpn to connect
Post #1033426
Posted Sunday, December 12, 2010 1:59 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 4:27 AM
HI all

this is condition in which every DBA has to live --Work when you are not at work.

i generally got the phone call on my cell and then connect the server using VPN from my laptop.

Ajit
Post #1033441
Posted Sunday, December 12, 2010 5:35 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 12:05 PM
I receive emails for minor problems and cell calls when its serious. I VPN in and this wotks for 95% of the problems. When I have to go in, luckily I live only 5 blocks from work.

Of course when far away on vacation and can't fix via VPN, a long process of talking a staff person through the fix process. Am in the process of having an external vendor provide on-site emergency help but rural Maine limits choices.

I connect with my laptop or home desktop. Have been very lucky that a major failure has not ocurred while on a far away trip.

Charles Proctor - One Man IT Department in Maine with Toby/Jake the IT Attack Cat. SSRS-SSIS-BI @zzubbuzz
Post #1033459
Posted Sunday, December 12, 2010 9:42 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, July 11, 2014 11:19 AM
I go to great lengths to create processes that detect and notify me of issues before anyone notices.

I get non-critical notifications (backup failures, etc) via normal email. I get critical notification via text message and email. I get the emails, and of course texts, on my phone.

I insure the mail notification systems are functioning by sending regular heartbeat emails (usually one per day).

I do not find that connections via anything but a VPN/RDP are useful to trouble shoot most issues. The screen real estate simply isn't there.

I have the ability to use my phone as a hotspot.

Post #1033484
Posted Sunday, December 12, 2010 12:20 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:22 PM
We use blackberrys on which we receive emails. Might receive a call if its something monitored by the operators.

home connectivity is either via citrix on my home PC or vpn on a work supplied laptop.

last time I had to go into the office to resolve an issue was about 8 years ago.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #1033507
Posted Sunday, December 12, 2010 7:24 PM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 11:01 AM
Problems with a database? Almost never. The only issues I typically run into are when a backup fails. Our environment isn't monitored by the engineers even though we have two tools to do so. We frequently run out of free space. The other issue is when Legato has a lock on the backup file - always in SQL 2000 so it is becoming less frequent.

All issues are handled remotely.

I am not only our SQL DBA, though, I also handle about 20 different systems as the only analyst for them. So I get paged or called far more often for issues with systems than databases. SQL Server does not typically stop running, apps do.

Dave
Post #1033548
Posted Sunday, December 12, 2010 8:59 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:49 PM
I remember all to well when driving in for any problem was the norm. Technological advances has done away with that. All messages and alerts are directed to a smart phone and I can respond using a laptop. Aside from a few occasion when VPN was not cooperating, 99.99 % of my work is done remotely.
Post #1033563
Posted Monday, December 13, 2010 4:54 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 6:57 AM
I receive an email alert or a call on my cell phone.
Then I dial in with VPN and connect to the server (usually with RDP).
Post #1033705
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse