Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

SSMS & Database snapshot Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:29 AM
The answer to this question is withOUT question: it depends. Are you talking of right-clicking in the object explorer to create one (not supported), or are you including the fact you can open up a t-sql window and create a snapshot???? Which one?! Well, the answer depends on knowing that, and the info is not given. Therefor, it depends is the correct answer, period.
Post #1029797
Posted Friday, December 03, 2010 5:57 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:52 AM
Sorry, this is not a very good question. I got it right, only because I assumed that the writer of the QOD meant to infer that there is a wizard built in to do this. In this case, the answer is correct.

Unfortunately the method of creating a snapshot is not done with a wizard. Most people would open SSMS to run an adhoc SQL command which now makes the answer the opposite of what it is. I would not even agree to the third option, as you can in fact perform the task from within SSMS.

Steve Jimmo
Sr DBA
“If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Post #1029801
Posted Friday, December 03, 2010 8:02 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, April 01, 2013 10:16 AM
I agree with the others that this is not a good question, or the answer should be True. As others have pointed out that you can use T-Sql within SSMS. But you don't even need to use T-SQL...

Within SSMS, click on Replication -> Publications, right click -> New Publication, and follow the wizard for either a Merge or Snapshot replication, and a snapshot will be created! I'd say that SSMS supports that quite well since you don't even need to know any T-Sql!

:)
Post #1029894
Posted Friday, December 03, 2010 8:08 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:56 PM
Patrick2525 (12/3/2010)
Within SSMS, click on Replication -> Publications, right click -> New Publication, and follow the wizard for either a Merge or Snapshot replication, and a snapshot will be created! I'd say that SSMS supports that quite well since you don't even need to know any T-Sql!

Don't get the two snapshots mixed up. Database Snapshots are not the same thing as Replication Snapshots.

Replication Snapshots are designed to create a base for publications and future replication activities. They don't even necessarily have to have all the data from a database to do this. Just the data that's published in publications and articles. You can't restore from a Replication Snapshot.

Database Snapshots are a sparse file. They designed to hold old data that has recently changed in your source database and they can be restored from. You can't replicate from a Database Snapshot.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database Administrator

Webpage: http://www.BrandieTarvin.net
LiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/
On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.

Freelance Writer: Shadowrun
Latchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Post #1029898
Posted Friday, December 03, 2010 8:37 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:56 PM
I wouldn't consider running T-SQL to be using SSMS. I know it technically does because there is no other editor, but I have felt when talking with people over the last few years that using SSMS means using a GUI, not T-SQL code.

However, I see how the "it depends" throws things off. So I have awarded back all points and changed the question to specifically mention using a GUI.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1029917
Posted Friday, December 03, 2010 8:40 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:46 AM
Looks like the true and false percentages are still showing the old numbers (True 46%, False 30%, It Depends 24%) even though the total number of correct answers shows 100%. Not that it really matters, just a little confusing.
Post #1029920
Posted Friday, December 03, 2010 8:56 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:56 PM
I didn't changed any answers, just marked them as correct, so it probably still shows the old percentages. Not sure what I want to do here, since I don't want to change what is the correct answer.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1029934
Posted Friday, December 03, 2010 9:02 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:46 AM
Ok, I don't think anyone will lose sleep over it. Just wanted to bring it to your attention if it wasn't intended.
Post #1029942
Posted Friday, December 03, 2010 9:07 AM

Hall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 12:05 PM
Yup I'm one of the 2% who got it wrong.

Because I define SSMS as a GUI. It has menus and icons. Granted I open a big text window and type SQL commands into it and execute them, but it's still a GUI.

Which left me in the land of trying to psychoanalyze the qotd writer as to what his definition of a GUI was.

I guessed wrong.

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
Post #1029950
Posted Friday, December 03, 2010 9:21 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:47 PM
Thanks for the question.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1029969