Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««23456»»

How to Monitor for High CPU utilization in SQL Server Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, November 18, 2010 6:01 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:18 AM
crazy4sql ,

the server must be over the threshold for 10 consecutive loops.
if you want to test, use something to cause your CPU to run over the threshold for at least 1 minute.
Post #1022812
Posted Thursday, November 18, 2010 6:29 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 5:17 AM
Jeff Moden: Yes, we can
Post #1022839
Posted Thursday, November 18, 2010 7:52 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:51 PM
Boxer (11/18/2010)
Jeff Moden: Yes, we can

Cool! I'll have to give it a try. In the meantime, someone should write an article on that!

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1023259
Posted Friday, November 19, 2010 10:01 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 1:13 PM
Geoff - nice article, thanks for posting.

One thing I wanted to mention on security, if the account that SQL Agent runs with is denied access to run a command line script (CmdExec), a workaround would be to create a Proxy for CmdExec and then map an account that does have rights to run this job.

Although I have never tried this with SQL 2000, I have with 2005+ and the documentation seems to imply you can do it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890775

This keeps all security concerns happy because it elevates permissions to run the command line (VBScript in your case) only for a specific job or jobs.

Overall a very resourceful solution. I've been working on a "roll my own" solution to monitor several parameters of my servers through WMI hooks for some time now - disk free%, CPU Utilization, memory, I/O, etc. Who knows when I'll ever get it completed/tested but if I do I'll be sure to share!

Cheers.
Post #1023668
Posted Friday, November 19, 2010 1:46 PM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

BobSaint,

yes, I am hard at work learning what powershell and SSRS can do.... one day, when it is all finished I will write an article on how I created this SQL Server Dashboard. (for FREE)

Post #1023802
Posted Friday, November 19, 2010 2:14 PM
Grasshopper

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 1:13 PM
Geoff - that is awesome!! Very nice presentation - and it covers all the prime touch points near and dear to the DBA at a glance. My curiosity is bristled - data cached in a local database? for how long? User-settable thresholds on all counters? User-settable sample rates? Alerts when thresholds exceeded (SQL or UI)? All hooks through WMI? Can you track other stuff like auto-grows, errors, failed authentications?

To be honest, I have yet to dabble in PS, although it seems like all the rage for scripting these days.

Again - very nice job.
Post #1023822
Posted Friday, November 19, 2010 3:23 PM

Mr or Mrs. 500

BobSaint (11/19/2010)
Geoff - that is awesome!! Very nice presentation - and it covers all the prime touch points near and dear to the DBA at a glance. My curiosity is bristled - data cached in a local database? for how long? User-settable thresholds on all counters? User-settable sample rates? Alerts when thresholds exceeded (SQL or UI)? All hooks through WMI? Can you track other stuff like auto-grows, errors, failed authentications?

To be honest, I have yet to dabble in PS, although it seems like all the rage for scripting these days.

Again - very nice job.

its a small local DB.
its all configurable.
alerts are not a part of this project.
almost all is through WMI except for user connections.

alerting I handle differently, which is another article i still owe to Steve..... (part two of this article... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Monitoring/71390/
Post #1023851
Posted Saturday, November 20, 2010 1:24 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:51 PM
I can't wait for an article on the dashboard.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1023898
Posted Tuesday, January 4, 2011 9:20 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:24 AM
editted - removed question
Post #1042515
Posted Thursday, January 13, 2011 6:19 PM

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 1:33 PM
Great article Geoff, very useful thanks for sharing!

Thanks,
Kimberly Killian
Sr. DBA / DB Engineer
www.sitedataview.com
Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Facebook
Post #1047684
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««23456»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse