Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Sorting Months By Number (SQL Spackle) Expand / Collapse
Author
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, June 3, 2014 12:21 PM
hugo-939487 (11/15/2010)
Another variaton, using the MONTH function:
 SELECT [Month] = DATENAME(mm,SomeDateTime),
Amount = SUM(SomeAmount)
FROM #MyHead
WHERE SomeDateTime >= '2010' AND SomeDateTime < '2011'
GROUP BY DATENAME(mm,SomeDateTime), MONTH(SomeDateTime)
ORDER BY MONTH(SomeDateTime)
;

This is the best one, I think. Adding MONTH function won't change the grouping as it's the same and it will still use seek. You can also use DATEPART(mm, SomeDate).
Post #1020667
Posted Monday, November 15, 2010 5:04 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 4:48 PM
Ola L Martins-329921 (11/15/2010)
Maybe the low ratings is due to the fact that most programmers and db-developers "know" this solution already: The old "sort numbers stored as text as numbers"... ("1" ,"2"..."10", "11" and NOT "1", "10", "11", "2", "3"...).

I like the technique, but you should clarify "any year" is not actually any year, it is a valid year within the sql server time span...

I agree with you that most programmers and db-developers should already know this. Also as Jeff wrote in his article this is something that when possible should be handled by the application. However this article was requested because it keeps coming up as a question in the forums. Also remember that a lot of the people who visit these forums may not be as advanced as you.

Jeff, great "Spackle" article. Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Use Full Links:
KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum
Post #1020668
Posted Monday, November 15, 2010 5:38 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Monday, September 29, 2014 9:27 PM
Sweet. I like it. I like the format and I think it's perfect that it was lead out of the gate by Jeff. Nice, direct and to the point solution. Thanks for posting it.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1020679
Posted Monday, November 15, 2010 6:55 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Monday, September 22, 2014 11:29 AM
Kristian Ask (11/15/2010)
hugo-939487 (11/15/2010)
Amount = SUM(SomeAmount)
FROM #MyHead
;

This is the best one, I think. Adding MONTH function won't change the grouping as it's the same and it will still use seek. You can also use DATEPART(mm, SomeDate).

it really isn't the best one. when you compare Jeff's ORDER BY clause vs the one above, Jeff's is more efficient.

I had to test to confirm because I assumed the CAST would cost more, but it doesn't.....
Post #1020738
Posted Monday, November 15, 2010 7:04 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 8:44 AM
Geoff A (11/15/2010)
hugo-939487 (11/15/2010)
Amount = SUM(SomeAmount)
FROM #MyHead
;

it really isn't the best one. when you compare Jeff's ORDER BY clause vs the one above, Jeff's is more efficient.

I had to test to confirm because I assumed the CAST would cost more, but it doesn't.....

That's really interesting - I assumed ordering by MONTH(SomeDateTime) would have to be more efficient. I still prefer it aesthetically, but it's a useful reminder not to make assumptions.
Post #1020749
Posted Monday, November 15, 2010 7:04 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Monday, September 22, 2014 11:29 AM
N.North (11/15/2010)
You could go for casting the month numbers to names in the select rather than in the ORDER BY clause, as it allows you to use MONTH in most places, and DATENAME only once, which feels more natural:

SELECT [Month] = DATENAME(mm, DATEADD(mm, MONTH(SomeDateTime), 0)),
Amount = SUM(SomeAmount)
FROM #MyHead
GROUP BY MONTH(SomeDateTime)

but your sort is not correct. it puts Feb first and Jan last.....
Post #1020751
Posted Monday, November 15, 2010 7:08 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Tuesday, June 3, 2014 12:21 PM
Geoff A (11/15/2010)
hugo-939487 (11/15/2010)
Amount = SUM(SomeAmount)
FROM #MyHead
;

You're quite right!
Post #1020755
Posted Monday, November 15, 2010 7:10 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Saturday, May 31, 2014 10:37 PM
I don't know why people would mark this article down, but people are funny sometimes.

Even though I probably won't use this technique (I can't think of a time when I've only had to report on a single contiguous year's data) I think this is a good article for the following reasons:

1. The article does exactly what it sets out to do. It states what the parameters are, then addresses the problem as laid out. This is spackle, as Jeff said, not SQL wallboard or a SQL stud*.

2. It encourages the reader to think about things in a new way. Too often (and I'm guilty of it too) we look at a problem and pressure-fit a solution from our repertoire. An article like this has a little twist in it that, if you're smart, you'll tuck away for one of those days when you're trying to do something new.

* I think most of us aspire to SQL stud-hood.
Post #1020760
Posted Monday, November 15, 2010 7:11 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 6:49 AM
I made use of the built-in datepart functions available in SQL, as many of you also demonstrated. I used a sub-query to obtain the same results. If you want to select multiple years, in the Where clause you simply use the "in" instead of "=" operator.

SELECT
[Month]
,[Amount] = SUM([Amount])
FROM
(
SELECT
[SortMonth] = MONTH(SomeDateTime)
,[Month] = DATENAME(mm,SomeDateTime)
,[Amount] = SomeAmount
FROM #MyHead
WHERE YEAR(SomeDateTime) = 2010
) a
GROUP BY [Month], [SortMonth]
ORDER BY [SortMonth]
Post #1020762
Posted Monday, November 15, 2010 7:18 AM

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 2:25 PM
IE would not permit horizontal scrolling to display either of your queries so I have no idea of what you are proposing. Shame too as I was hoping to send this to a beginning DBA.
Post #1020766
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse