Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Color coding Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:54 AM
Another dumb trick question
I use connection colouring, and it always works, so I was tricked into thinking the question was about that, hence answered 'True'.

I don't mind getting an answer wrong if I learn something, but misdirection and trickery is damned annoying.

Pah!

Paris
in the
the spring

by another name.
Post #1004974
Posted Friday, October 15, 2010 3:07 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:35 PM
Carlo Romagnano (10/15/2010)
I answered TRUE, but reading and re-reading both question and answer, I do not understand why it's false. Please Hugo, help us to understand.

I seem to have built a reputation for myself...
I had this one wrong as well. Partially because I don't work with SQL Server 2008 yet (I do have it installed on a laptop, fopr "play" purposes), and partly because I misread the question.

The answer is hidden in the explanation. You can configure different colors for the "query window" (which I knew - that's why I selected "true"), but you cannot configure the colors for "the status bar in SSMS".
This last status bar obviously refers to another status bar than that of the query window. I don't know which status bar, though, and I can't check if it's true. But even if it is, the correct answer should have been "it depends" - since the query window sits within SSMS, you can obviously configure colors for some status bars in SSMS.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #1004981
Posted Friday, October 15, 2010 3:19 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 1:00 AM
Thanks Hugo.
I work with SSMS sql2500, too.
Post #1004990
Posted Friday, October 15, 2010 3:36 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 10:05 AM
Pedantic trickery at its worst!

"the status bar in SQL Server 2008 Management Studio" does not clearly state that it means the one in the main window rather than the one in the query window. It could mean anything.
So the closest answer is probably "it depends", as it depends how you interpret the question.
Post #1004993
Posted Friday, October 15, 2010 3:55 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, September 22, 2014 1:20 AM
Thanks, Hugo. You have built great reputation here.

And the others: Don't complain. The question and answers are OK. Yes, it's tricky. Do you like to obtain point without thinking?

See, understand, learn, try, use efficient
© Dr.Plch
Post #1005002
Posted Friday, October 15, 2010 4:01 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 10:05 AM
honza.mf (10/15/2010)
Do you like to obtain point without thinking?

Not at all.

But the answer as given doesn't depends on SQL, but on how you interpret the phrase "the status bar". I think it means "any status bar"; the author thinks it means "the status bar of the main window"; it could equally mean "the status bar of the query window", since it is only the query window that is connected to a server and hence the only one to which the question is relevant.

It's not a SQLServer question, it's an ambiguous English Comprehension question.
Post #1005005
Posted Friday, October 15, 2010 4:28 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, September 22, 2014 1:20 AM
Toreador (10/15/2010)
honza.mf (10/15/2010)
Do you like to obtain point without thinking?

Not at all.

But the answer as given doesn't depends on SQL, but on how you interpret the phrase "the status bar". I think it means "any status bar"; the author thinks it means "the status bar of the main window"; it could equally mean "the status bar of the query window", since it is only the query window that is connected to a server and hence the only one to which the question is relevant.

It's not a SQLServer question, it's an ambiguous English Comprehension question.

Yes, you are right. But is that one point worth for this discussion? For me it's a fly buzzing in my ears. Especially because it's not a SQL question, it's a question about a Microsoft tool.

See, understand, learn, try, use efficient
© Dr.Plch
Post #1005029
Posted Friday, October 15, 2010 5:56 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 7:34 AM
The question itself is good, it poins to a not so well known feature in SSMS.
But the answers, boy, does that suck. Pure trickery...

It is like: "Hahaha, you knew you could color the status bar of a query window, but I didn't specify which status bar, so it is wrong. Nananananana." A bit childish...

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1005077
Posted Friday, October 15, 2010 6:14 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 7:32 AM
Assuming that this was not a trick question, I believe that the correct answer is 'it depends'. You can set the status bar for the query window to display a color based on the instance that you are connected to, but in order for this to work, you must connect through the registered servers tree. If you connect through the File|Connect Objects explorer method, the color of the status bar will be the default. Also, if you connect through the registered servers tree and change your connection to another instance, the status bar for the query window will retain the color of the instance originally connected to.

Post #1005088
Posted Friday, October 15, 2010 7:05 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, October 7, 2014 2:36 PM
I think the question is kind of a tricky one, but many QoTD are tricky. I missed the point, but I did learn something...that you can color code the server connections/query window (status bar). I am regularly connected to 2 to 5 servers, and this is a useful tidbit of info. Thanks.
Post #1005129
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse