Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Adding new article to existing publication Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, November 6, 2011 9:39 PM
I have my databases running on SQL Server 2005.

I have Transactional replication setup between 2 databases - source being my transaction db and the target being the reporting database.

I am going to add a new article to the existing publication, and my question over here is when I add the the new article do I have to generate a new snapshot and then reintialize the subscription.

And also when I am generating the new snapshot will I be able to access both the source and the target databases.

Thank you all in advance.
Post #998944
Posted Wednesday, October 6, 2010 12:28 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, February 18, 2013 3:46 AM
Adding/Dropping articles from existing publications: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms152493(SQL.90).aspx

When you are generating the snapshot you will be able to access both the publisher and subscriber - from what I remember the snapshot agent takes a schema lock on the tables for which the snapshot is being generated and if the snapshot generation process takes a very long time then you might see blocking issues on the publisher.

Post #999001
Posted Wednesday, October 6, 2010 12:53 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, November 6, 2011 9:39 PM
Thank you very much.

So, will it generate snapshot only on the new article or all the articles which are getting replicated.

Thank you again for the reply.
Post #999003
Posted Wednesday, October 6, 2010 1:06 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, February 18, 2013 3:46 AM
The snapshot will be generated for all articles being replicated (i.e. all the existing articles plus any new articles being added to the publication) - however the distribution agent will only create the new article(s) and copy in the data for the new article(s).

If you check on replication monitor - in the Snapshot Agent tab you'll see the snapshot for all articles being generated and if you go to the distribution agent (the "Distributor To Subscriber History" tab) you'll see that only the schema and data for the new articles are applied.

Post #999006
Posted Wednesday, October 6, 2010 8:12 AM
Ten Centuries

Last Login: Monday, August 18, 2014 3:04 AM
If you add the article using scripts and then generate the snapshot, the snapshot agent should only add the new articles and limit the impact to both the publisher and subscriber to just the new article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830210

----------------------------

exec sp_addarticle
@publication = N'', @article = N'',
@source_owner = N'dbo', @source_object = N'',
@destination_table = N'',
@type = N'logbased', @creation_script = null, @description = null,
@pre_creation_cmd = N'drop',
@schema_option = 0x00000000000000F3, @status = 16, @vertical_partition = N'false',
@ins_cmd = N'CALL sp_MSins_<table>',
@del_cmd = N'CALL sp_MSdel_<table>',
@upd_cmd = N'MCALL sp_MSupd_<table>',
@filter = null, @sync_object = null
GO

exec sp_addsubscription
@publication = N'',
@subscriber = N'',
@destination_db = N'',
@subscription_type = N'Push', @sync_type = N'automatic',
@article = N'all', @update_mode = N'read only', @frequency_type = 64, @frequency_interval = 1,
@frequency_relative_interval = 1, @frequency_recurrence_factor = 0, @frequency_subday = 4,
@frequency_subday_interval = 5, @active_start_time_of_day = 0,
@active_end_time_of_day = 235959, @active_start_date = 0,
@active_end_date = 0, @offloadagent = 0, @dts_package_location = N'Distributor'
GO
Post #999355
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse