Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Writing Nearly Codeless Apps: Part 1 Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, October 6, 2010 6:33 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 6:20 AM
Is this just...an ad?
Post #999205
Posted Wednesday, October 6, 2010 6:35 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Friday, October 17, 2014 3:02 AM
Shouldn't the line:
"The world of software development will change radically once somebody starts building applications in a drastically more consistent way"

..instead read:
"The world of software development will change radically once everybody starts building applications in a drastically more consistent way"

?
Post #999209
Posted Wednesday, October 6, 2010 6:39 AM
UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Sunday, June 29, 2014 11:26 PM
aurato (10/6/2010)
Is this just...an ad?

Pretty much yeah. Its "Hay look we think you should develop stuff this way instead... oh and btw we have a product to help you"

/T
Post #999213
Posted Wednesday, October 6, 2010 6:49 AM

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Today @ 6:40 AM
There's a lot of beefing and complaining going on here, hearkening back to the early 20th century when doubtless the same complaints were heard about the Ford assembly line:
1. This guy's gonna put us craftsmen/ex-bicyclemakers out of business
2. Yeah it's easy to make a black car on an assembly line but watch out when they ask him to make one in colour
3. This guy has some kind of hidden agenda; I don't care if this technique will save my company thousands of dollars -- I'm not going to be hooked.

All of which makes me think this guy's on to something....
Post #999222
Posted Wednesday, October 6, 2010 6:49 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Monday, October 13, 2014 6:00 AM
That's how I saw it. Gosh, an ad disguised as a SQL Server Central article. OK, moving on...

Post #999224
Posted Wednesday, October 6, 2010 6:54 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:34 PM
There is a product that is available, but it is free. This is not just an advertisement, in my opinion, but also a philosophy over how you ought to build an application, and design a database. Future articles will examine some of the consistency driven techniques used that you might want to incorporate into your own designs.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #999230
Posted Wednesday, October 6, 2010 7:02 AM
UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Sunday, June 29, 2014 11:26 PM
Holy One (10/6/2010)
There's a lot of beefing and complaining going on here, hearkening back to the early 20th century when doubtless the same complaints were heard about the Ford assembly line:
1. This guy's gonna put us craftsmen/ex-bicyclemakers out of business
2. Yeah it's easy to make a black car on an assembly line but watch out when they ask him to make one in colour
3. This guy has some kind of hidden agenda; I don't care if this technique will save my company thousands of dollars -- I'm not going to be hooked.

All of which makes me think this guy's on to something....

1. Doubtful. There is always a place for craftsmen (Ferrari/Porsche/Customcars/"pimping" and so on)

2. Or just wait until they start recalling cars because of a flaw in the assembly line. So instead of a few cars... its ALL of them

3. They all scream that. Use <insert tech> and save money/time and create better/faster/more efficient code.

/T
Post #999246
Posted Wednesday, October 6, 2010 7:03 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, March 8, 2012 2:54 AM
I agree being consistent is a good thing - however, design and coding principles are also important:

Example:

I maintained a multi-tiered app which uses a business framework and has a business logic layer. In this app, every single screen that allowed you to edit an object followed the same principle...

Save - saves the changes or applies the edits if you are editing a child object, Cancel - cancels the changes and discards the object, or rolls back the changes if you are editing a child object

Of course, even though the same functionality was required and the same functionality appeared to be used, it turned out that every form was a copy/paste of the base class and didn't actually inherit from it. This meant that I had two choices -

- Apply the changes to all objects each time I make a change and hope that I don't miss any
- Modify all objects to inherit from the base class and then only make one change

Although the second method took a bit longer at first, the payoff was worth it. I made changes to the way the form has worked a few times to fine tune the logic, and now I've not had to touch it for a long time. Any new forms which require this functionality need one line modifying before they work 'out of the box'.

The principles of good design and understanding of the tools are way more important than which tools you use. It's still perfectly possible to mess up an application (that I have to fix!) using great tools - this being a perfect example.
Post #999248
Posted Wednesday, October 6, 2010 7:06 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, June 30, 2014 6:40 AM
The Indy 500 analogy is probably why I read the article, so I can't slam that, or the spirit of the article - sure standards make things better. I'm kind of lost on the author's perspective though. I don't know of any shop that doesn't work to or towards standards and I certainly don't know of any where the apps and db folks work in vacuums and do not collaborate with each other. Maybe that's the joy of smaller companies, I do both db and front-end work, as do most of the people I work with and we work on things collectively. My boss would sure love something that makes the learning curve less daunting for the "next" guy, but then I would as well as at some point I am very likely to be the new guy again. Kind of stating the obvious, but the author spent a lot or words likewise. I think the article should have focused on the product and concept and less on the homily. Just my 2 cents.
Post #999251
Posted Wednesday, October 6, 2010 7:19 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, August 18, 2011 8:00 AM
I think you are missing the point then if you think SQL Developers will be extinct. It seems to me that all "pushing the button" will do is eliminate the boring, repetitive work that you need to do (creating the basic procedures needed in any system) and give you the time you really need to be more creative, efficient and effective in how you solve the more complex problems of the system that is being built. I used a tool to do this for my developers and they loved it. It saved a lot time plus it provided a nice consistent framework for the procedures with all basic error trapping and comment blocks pre-built already. They could use it or modify it as needed.

Post #999271
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse