Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Measuring Career Growth Expand / Collapse
Author

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 8:59 AM
Good article, you're right about our need to see progresss.

This made me think of the time that I thought that I'd finally become a "real" programmer when I could create and use arrays. As it turns out, they weren't really worth the trouble, but I could do it!

Post #996810
Posted Friday, October 01, 2010 11:13 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 9:46 AM
i do it by updating my resume once or twice every year even if i am not looking for jobs. just to try to summarize what i have accomplished at my work, what skills (both technical and soft skills) I've learned, and let me have a chance to think about whether I am making progress in my career. I agree with Tim that it's a process of accumulation, sometimes you don't know you are making progress when you are doing the same kind of job everyday, but after a big project or two, you know you achieved something and learned something.
Post #996862
Posted Friday, October 01, 2010 1:35 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:21 AM
Never understood the christmas eve gift opening.

1) Its not christmas yet
2) 'Santa' hasn't come yet
3) Give me something to play with christmas eve and good luck getting me to bed.
4) On a related note, getting children to go to bed is way easier when they know that its just get to sleep and next thing they know, its opening presents.

Our family was all about christmas morning, even after we were all well past Santa age. And the family had to go downstairs to open presents together (which means you had to wake my dad up). The parents would take extra long getting up as we waited on the top stair held back by an invisible barrier.
Post #996965
Posted Monday, October 04, 2010 11:46 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:39 AM
Tim, I agree it's worth documenting and love the story you use to start it with. The thing I'd add is that "blogging" often seems to equate to visibility and not everyone is ready or comfortable with that. Blogs can be private. Think "professional diary" even though it doesn't sound as cool, and that might just be a Word doc. However you do it, it's worthwhile to set goals and measure progress by writing.

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #997748
Posted Monday, October 04, 2010 12:27 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 2:16 PM
I keep a code library of problems I have solved, or new approaches to the same old problems. I also keep a portfolio of some of the more interesting work I do. I try to contribute to forums where I can.

I like the idea of blogging, I haven't done that yet, although I have been considering it for some time. I have a small (and growing) bag of tips & tricks that I think others coming up might find useful. I am concerned that even a simple blog, or article, would take a fair amount of time if well written.
Post #997776
Posted Wednesday, October 06, 2010 6:32 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:23 PM

that's great thought "Career Growth",

this gives me alert that, I have to sometime like this.
Post #999203
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse