Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««12345

Raw Materials - The Decision Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Friday, September 17, 2010 8:36 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 12:48 AM
CirquedeSQLeil (9/17/2010)
Brandie Tarvin (9/17/2010)
gonickl (9/16/2010)
I think it's interesting that the sheepization, I mean monetization proposals here were all based on making a tangible object, until I suggested a subscription model. People are so used to getting their bits for free! At this end, it's the same amount of work either way.

Yes it is.

gonickl (9/16/2010)

On the level of compensation, oh yeah, a million times a dollar a week sounds pretty good.

We author types wish!!! @=) It's no wonder people think writing is nifty gig. TV shows like "Murder She Wrote" and "Castle" certainly add to the stereotype.

Hey - those are two pretty good shows.

Definitely, but how many writers do you know that sold over 100M copies of their books. Take out the Bible from the list and you're not left with many authors...
Post #988254
Posted Friday, September 17, 2010 9:30 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 5:59 PM
NOOOOOOOOOO! I have them plastered all over my cubicle. I use them as teaching aids for end users. (OK, read the comic. This character is you and this one is me...) I'm ready to sign up for a subscription model. I promise to talk management into buying some RedGate tool.

And then again, I might be wrong ...
David Webb
Post #988316
Posted Saturday, September 18, 2010 9:09 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:03 AM
David Webb-200187 (9/17/2010)
I use them as teaching aids for end users. (OK, read the comic. This character is you and this one is me...)

Well, hearing that gives me heart! I do write this from outside the DBA community and know your world only from what I read in the newsletter, online articles, and the blogs. (Plus occasional and very helpful conversations with an actual human being.) It's good to know that you find such a good fit between this comic mini-verse and the environment you inhabit.

There are still two or three strips in the bank, so you'll be getting your weekly fix for another couple of weeks. Meanwhile, this discussion may have led to some productive thinking about how to proceed. Thanks for all your support, readers.
Post #988740
Posted Tuesday, January 4, 2011 2:50 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Today @ 5:03 AM
Larry is back with a compendium of all his Raw Materials cartoons, along with four extra strips to promote the idea of the 'mobile DBA'. This can be downloaded from here- www.red-gate.com/products/dba/sql-monitor/entrypage/cartoon-book: If you click on the button marked 'download eBooklet and SQL Monitor', you get the booklet! Why is it called 'Sheepizing Derek? The answer to this will only be apparent to those who read this forum, where we discussed how we could justify the cost of continuing the Raw Materials strip. In the meantime, Larry did the editorial for Simple-Talk's Christmas issue in his usual wonderful style. (see here at http://www.simple-talk.com/opinion/opinion-pieces/raw-materials-happy-holidays/, and is planning a superb Raw Materials wallchart on .NET memory management for January.

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
Post #1042254
Posted Tuesday, January 4, 2011 8:44 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 1:37 PM
That is great news. Thanks Phil.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1042480
Posted Tuesday, January 4, 2011 8:50 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 10:05 AM
CirquedeSQLeil (1/4/2011)
That is great news. Thanks Phil.

True and kudo's to whoever made the decision to allow download of the comic book without having to proceed through the data collection and download of the new monitoring tool. Seems fun to play with but I've no budget for new tools, and I figure I'd save the marketing guys a followup phone call.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this

For better help with performance problems please read this
Post #1042489
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««12345

Permissions Expand / Collapse