Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

what is Copy-Only Backup? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, August 11, 2010 9:54 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, May 29, 2011 9:01 AM
eng_mgomaa (8/11/2010)
Copy-only backups are new to SQL Server 2005. They allow a backup of any type to be
taken without affecting any other backups. Normally, a database backup is recorded in the
database itself and is identified as part of a chain that can be used for restore. For
example, if a full database backup is taken, any subsequent differential database backups
use this full database backup as their base. A restore process utilizing the differential database
backups would have a reference to the full database backup, and that backup would
have to be available.
Copy-only backups do not affect the restore chain. They are useful in situations in which
you simply want to get a copy of the database for testing purposes or things of this
nature. Copy-only backups are not supported via SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
and must be performed via the Transact-SQL (T-SQL) BACKUP command.

you can only take a full or a log backup with copy_only. Differential backup will ignore the copy_only.
Post #967922
Posted Thursday, August 12, 2010 12:22 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, February 3, 2011 3:00 AM
Hi,
when you take copy only backup. The Log Sequence number doesn't change it. and
i think a copy only backup can take upto 4

Regards
Balaji.G
Post #967948
Posted Wednesday, August 15, 2012 2:13 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 3:04 AM
Thank you Rookie. That certainly helped me understand why the Copy-only backups are used. In fact the description given in MSDN was not clear to know why the Copy-only backups are used.
Post #1345158
Posted Thursday, December 12, 2013 12:31 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, June 13, 2014 1:48 PM
eng_mgomaa (8/11/2010)
Copy-only backups are not supported via SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
and must be performed via the Transact-SQL (T-SQL) BACKUP command.

I dont think so.. I have a check box with copy only in SSMS here.. Its 2008 though. I donno what version u r using

--Pra--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post #1522454
Posted Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:03 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 1:01 PM
Please note: 3 year old thread.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1522473
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse