Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

changing passwords at next login? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 12:38 PM
We are setting up a new system that uses IBM relational system architect. I want to create users with sql server logins and have them change their password at next login. how does the user change their password at next login?
Post #962960
Posted Tuesday, August 3, 2010 10:27 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 2:42 PM
There's a checkbox if you are on W2K3 and later

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms161959.aspx

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #962968
Posted Tuesday, August 3, 2010 10:49 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

I know about the checkbox. But if the checkbox is checked (that you must change password at next login)...how do you change password at next login? I tried it from Enterprise manager and received an error message? Is their a third party tool? Do you change it through an application front end that uses SQL as the backend?
Post #962980
Posted Tuesday, August 3, 2010 10:56 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Enterprise Manager would be too old. It uses an older client technology. SSMS should pop up a dialog.

The client receives a message, and then should display a dialog. It's possible that some older clients might not be able to handle it.

Post #962985
Posted Tuesday, August 3, 2010 11:12 AM
SSC Journeyman

I'm sorry I meant SSMS. That's what we have.

I created a user and then checked the box that says user much change password at next login. Then I logged back into SSMS with the user and when I try to log in I received an error message that says: "A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 - No process is on the other end of the pipe.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 233).

How can I have users change their password at the next login...if they can't log in.

Is there some way to do it through the application?
Post #962994
Posted Tuesday, August 3, 2010 11:21 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Are you using a local instance here? The server OS matters here. I don't believe this works on workstation OSes or pre-W2K3. It does work on my local Win 7 instance. In SSMS I get the change pwd dialog.

You can do this through T-SQL, but you still have to log in for it to work. I'm not sure it works in Shared Memory, though it should.

Post #963001
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse