Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Distinct clause in Select statement Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:18 PM
Thanks for the question.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #958835
Posted Monday, July 26, 2010 8:43 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, October 20, 2014 5:34 AM
webrunner (7/26/2010)
Good question, interesting to learn that the parentheses make no difference for SELECT DISTINCT.

I have one question, though. I've seen people show me queries where they write SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT userid) or something like that. Is that also the same as SELECT DISTINCT COUNT(userid), or is there a difference?

And I am also curious about how (1) SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT userid) would differ from (2) SELECT COUNT(userid) - I assume if there are multiple rows with the same userid in the table being queried, the second query would return more rows than the first? **

** Edited again - sorry, I guess these queries would return the same number of rows (e.g. one summary row), but maybe different COUNT values. Is that correct?

Thanks,
webrunner

AS per The Count() BOL Entry
The Distinct Keyword is a argument of the Count() Function and is not the same as when used like SELECT DISTINCT col1, col2 from mytable;
For that use reference the SELECT Clause BOL Entry that states:
DISTINCT

Specifies that only unique rows can appear in the result set. Null values are considered equal for the purposes of the DISTINCT keyword.

-Luke.

Edited to fix quote.

To help us help you read this

For better help with performance problems please read this
Post #958837
Posted Monday, July 26, 2010 8:56 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:53 PM
bitbucket-25253 (7/26/2010)
webrunner
Easy enough to find out ...
CREATE TABLE #T(userid INT)
INSERT INTO #T
SELECT 1 UNION ALL
SELECT 1 UNION ALL
SELECT 2 UNION ALL
SELECT 3 UNION ALL
SELECT 4 UNION ALL
SELECT 5 UNION ALL
SELECT 6 UNION ALL
SELECT 7

SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT userid) AS '(1)' FROM #T
SELECT DISTINCT COUNT(userid)AS '(2)' FROM #T

Results:
(1)   (2)
7 8

Thanks - that's a nice illustration of the difference.

- webrunner

-------------------
"Operator! Give me the number for 911!" - Homer Simpson

"A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and says 'Can I join you?'"
Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html
Post #958848
Posted Monday, July 26, 2010 9:01 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:53 PM
Luke L (7/26/2010)
webrunner (7/26/2010)
Good question, interesting to learn that the parentheses make no difference for SELECT DISTINCT.

I have one question, though. I've seen people show me queries where they write SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT userid) or something like that. Is that also the same as SELECT DISTINCT COUNT(userid), or is there a difference?

And I am also curious about how (1) SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT userid) would differ from (2) SELECT COUNT(userid) - I assume if there are multiple rows with the same userid in the table being queried, the second query would return more rows than the first? **

** Edited again - sorry, I guess these queries would return the same number of rows (e.g. one summary row), but maybe different COUNT values. Is that correct?

Thanks,
webrunner

AS per The Count() BOL Entry
The Distinct Keyword is a argument of the Count() Function and is not the same as when used like SELECT DISTINCT col1, col2 from mytable;
For that use reference the SELECT Clause BOL Entry that states:
DISTINCT

-Luke.
Specifies that only unique rows can appear in the result set. Null values are considered equal for the purposes of the DISTINCT keyword.

Thanks, Luke. I also learned two more things from the COUNT BOL entry: (1) "COUNT(*) returns the number of rows in a specified table without getting rid of duplicates" and (2) "For return values greater than 2^31-1, COUNT produces an error. Use COUNT_BIG instead." I hadn't even known about COUNT_BIG before.

This is all fundamental knowledge that I need to master. It's amazing how many things commonly seen as "basic" or "SQL 101" require careful study to avoid getting tripped up on them.

Thanks again,
webrunner

-------------------
"Operator! Give me the number for 911!" - Homer Simpson

"A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and says 'Can I join you?'"
Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html
Post #958852
Posted Monday, July 26, 2010 1:41 PM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, September 5, 2014 2:00 PM
Nice question, thanks!
Post #959054
Posted Monday, July 26, 2010 2:05 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:52 PM
A good question, highlighting a very common misconception. I've seen so many people think that there is a way to limit DISTINCT to only some of the SELECTed columns - and yet, when I ask them what SQL Server should return for the other columns, they are never able to answer.

webrunner (7/26/2010)

COUNT(*) returns the number of columns (regardless of values); COUNT(userid) counts the number of non-NULL vallues in the userid column; and COUNT(DISTINCT userid) counts the number of distinct non-NULL values in the userid column. This DISTINCT keyword is different from the one at the start of the SELECT list.

SELECT DISTINCT .... means that at the end of the query evaluation, rows that are complete duplicates of another row (in all columns) are removed.

So SELECT DISTINCT COUNT(userid) FROM SomeTable will first count the number of rows where userid is not NULL, yielding a single row as result (with that number as the value in its only column). The DISTINCT will then remove duplicates - which don't exist as the COUNT without GROUP BY guarantees a single row result set.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #959068
Posted Monday, July 26, 2010 5:27 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:02 PM
webrunner
INSERT INTO #T
SELECT 1 UNION ALL
SELECT 1 UNION ALL
SELECT 2 UNION ALL
SELECT 3 UNION ALL
SELECT 4 UNION ALL
SELECT 5 UNION ALL
SELECT 6 UNION ALL
SELECT 7

Results:
(1)   (2)
7 8

Looks wrong to me. Surely that 8 should be a 1, or the DISTINCT keyword ahould not be present in the second select?

Tom
Post #959147
Posted Tuesday, July 27, 2010 3:22 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:52 AM
A bit of a strange question.
I'd never come across the user of parantheses with DISTINCT so assumed it must be some sort of extended syntax I didn't know about. So guessed wrongly that it must have different behaviour.
But it turned out that the reason I'd never come across it was that there is no alternative syntax at all!
So an interesting problem to think about, but I can't say I learned anything from it (other than that there are apparently people out there who unnecessarily put brackets with a distinct!)
Post #959269
Posted Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:17 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, October 20, 2014 5:34 AM
Tom.Thomson (7/26/2010)
webrunner
INSERT INTO #T
SELECT 1 UNION ALL
SELECT 1 UNION ALL
SELECT 2 UNION ALL
SELECT 3 UNION ALL
SELECT 4 UNION ALL
SELECT 5 UNION ALL
SELECT 6 UNION ALL
SELECT 7

Results:
(1)   (2)
7 8

Looks wrong to me. Surely that 8 should be a 1, or the DISTINCT keyword ahould not be present in the second select?

Nope, run the code you get 7 and 8 respectively. The Distinct in the second query is applied after the rows are created. So since there is no group by clause it counts all of the userid's and returns 1 row. The DISTINCT in that instance makes sure there are distinct rows, which there are because there is only one. So Yes the DISTINCT keyword doesn't really do anything in the second select, but that was more or less the point of the example that bitbucket gave, to illustrate the difference between Count(DISTINCT expression ) and SELECT DISTINCT count(expression).

-Luke.

To help us help you read this

For better help with performance problems please read this
Post #959320
Posted Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:31 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 1:00 AM
Hugo Kornelis (7/26/2010)COUNT(*) returns the number of columns (regardless of values);

That's false: COUNT(*) returns the number of ROWS regardless of values of columns.
Post #959331
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse