Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Adding a detail row when none exist Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:19 PM
Ahh! I see said the blind man!!!

You don't have a table with groups -- you have a matrix. Details are not a part of matrix and never have been. It's like a pivot table.

I'm afraid you will have to create a table with groups in order to get details. A matrix is by definition only going to show aggregated data.

Margaret
Post #952362
Posted Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:03 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, October 7, 2014 5:22 AM
Was going to ask you whether you were looking at a table or matrix, but was afraid to ask due to fear of sounding silly
Post #952368
Posted Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:07 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Tuesday, August 5, 2014 1:01 PM
I created a table, not a matrix, with one group, and inside, a detail row.
I began to add group rows, and at some point, thinking I would not need the detail row, which I just kept pushing around, I deleted it. Did this cause the table to turn into a matrix?????
Post #952372
Posted Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:12 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, October 7, 2014 5:22 AM
I'm pretty sure in ssrs 2008 the table object and the tablix object are exactly the same. To create a simple table in 2008 is more cumbersome they have taken a step back from 2005.
I suppose they wanted to tied everything together.
Post #952376
Posted Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:02 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

No, Tablix took the place of Matrix and is an aggregation tool.

From Applied Microsoft Reporting Services 2008 by Teo Lachev "Tablix lets you author versatile table-style reports with multiple row groups and column groups. Tablix brings in features that were either not supported or difficult to implement in previous releases."

"In previous releases, the Report Designer would display a green triangle in the right top corner of a total
field in a cross-tab (matrix) report. Many developers, including myself, were frustrated because cross-tab totals supported minimal customization through the InScope function and were limited to the Sum aggregation function only. With the Tablix data region these limitations simply disappear."

Tablix is a powerful tool, but displaying detail data is not one of it's functions.

What you CAN do is create a report with the detail information in it, and link that to one of the group fields in the tablix so that when it's clicked, the group acts as a parameter and the detail report opens displaying the detail for that group selection.
Post #952489
Posted Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:34 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

So in fact, what you are saying is that the detail row cannot be brought back?
Post #952519
Posted Wednesday, July 14, 2010 12:35 PM
SSC Rookie

tsmith-960032 (7/14/2010)
So in fact, what you are saying is that the detail row cannot be brought back?

No, what I am saying is that you never had a detail row to begin with as tablix does not support a detail row.

I don't know what your report does and it may be that you are only getting one row per group type in which case you could add a row for that by clicking to the inside of the row/column group and choosing add row or add column then populating that with your data.
Post #952624
Posted Wednesday, July 14, 2010 12:44 PM
SSC Journeyman

Of course I had a detail row. When you first drop a table into the work area, it always has a detail row. What I did is I added a group, added several group rows, and then deleted the detail row, which afterwards I regretted, and now want to add it back in. And I can't find anyplace that this can be done.
Post #952640
Posted Wednesday, July 14, 2010 1:36 PM
SSC Rookie

Yes when you add a TABLE you have a detail row, however, at some point you must have deleted the table and gone with a tablix. Your own list of what is in your selections says you have a tablix here, and not a table at all.

If you want tabular data, then you must use a table, not a tablix.
Post #952667
Posted Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:43 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, May 6, 2013 9:48 AM
I have run into the same problem... I created a TABLE (aka tablix), not a MATRIX, did some grouping, eventually deleted the detail row and now would like to try something with it added back in. I am guessing from the tone of this thread that the issue was not resolved/a means of adding the detail row back in was not determined? If it was, please share!

Kristen
Post #959550
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse