Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««1234»»

Table Variable :Doesn't care Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, December 7, 2010 8:13 AM
tommyh (7/6/2010)
UMG Developer (7/6/2010)
Nice question, thanks!

I'm a little surprised that so many people have gotten it correct so far, but that may be because of the copy, paste, F5 syndrome.

Or copy, paste, alt+x syndrome (F5 is to far away on the keyboard... and actually clicking execute is WAY out of the question).

Good question though.

I have been wondering what the keyboard shortcut is for execute is. I learned 2 things today.
By the way, this is not that hard to figure out without a copy and paste. I figured that 1,2 for both queries was too obvious; then I realized that one table is a variable so it probably would not be affected by the rollback. I guessed right.
And I am assuming that rolling back a transaction does not change any type of variable to the pre-transaction value?
Post #948610
Posted Wednesday, July 7, 2010 9:22 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 5:03 PM
I like these kind of QOD because they point out the subtle differences in very similar things. After reviewing the post, I have been schooled and am better for it. Regarding the F5 cheating issue, I guess it's a matter of perspective on what game you are playing. For me, I guess I am not playing the traditional game but have engaged in another way of learning, I am just monitoring activity, and learning a lot along the way.
Post #948621
Posted Wednesday, July 7, 2010 9:35 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 1:04 PM
Good QotD: Brief, straightforward illustration of something that may be well-known but was new to me.

I must be missing something. In Hrvoje's example, I understand why there are no rows in #t but I don't understand why the 'A' row isn't in @t. Is it because the output into #t fails?
Post #948630
Posted Wednesday, July 7, 2010 9:58 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:40 AM
wware (7/7/2010)
I must be missing something. In Hrvoje's example, I understand why there are no rows in #t but I don't understand why the 'A' row isn't in @t. Is it because the output into #t fails?

That is because the statement fails. If a statement fails, it has no effect. Not on tables, nor on variables - and hence, not on table variables eiter.
"SELECT @StringVar = 'a', @IntVar = 'a'" would leave both variables unaffected as well.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #948664
Posted Wednesday, July 7, 2010 11:53 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Tuesday, December 7, 2010 12:55 AM
Excellent question. I learned something new from all the other posts, too.
Post #948741
Posted Wednesday, July 7, 2010 12:55 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:52 PM
Good question. Got it wrong, and now I know why.

Thanks,
webrunner

-------------------
"Operator! Give me the number for 911!" - Homer Simpson

"A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and says 'Can I join you?'"
Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html
Post #948793
Posted Wednesday, July 7, 2010 2:53 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 10:47 AM
Thanks for the QOD

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #948853
Posted Thursday, July 8, 2010 1:14 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, July 8, 2010 1:08 AM
Thank you
Post #949037
Posted Thursday, July 8, 2010 1:19 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 5:50 PM
good question. Got the answer from the title
Post #949040
Posted Monday, July 12, 2010 12:48 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:34 AM
Easy!
Post #950591
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««1234»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse