Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Cross Apply in Sql Expand / Collapse
Author
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:29 AM
Hi

I have a very small question -- What is the difference between Cross Apply and Inner Join.
what is it that can be achieved using Cross Apply that cannot be using Inner Join.

Thanks in Advance.

Azeem.
Post #935181
Posted Thursday, June 10, 2010 12:55 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, December 11, 2014 5:03 PM
Azzu, here are some links describing APPLY clause ; all the qustions you asked is explained in detail in the link ; i had given the link to the first part, the link to the second part is in the first part itself:

Link : Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - Paul White

I tell you, this is by far the **BEST** article on APPLY i had ever read.. Thanks to Paul White for writing that up
Post #935186
Posted Thursday, June 10, 2010 3:26 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:18 PM
Thanks for the recommendation Cold Coffee

Azeem, if you have any questions after reading both parts of the article and examining the code samples provided there, please post them here and one of us will try to answer.

Paul

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #935237
Posted Friday, August 30, 2013 7:54 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, April 7, 2014 1:43 PM
Thank you for the link. I learned something new and very useful.
Post #1490169
Posted Friday, August 30, 2013 10:38 AM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:58 PM
I also love Paul's articles on APPLY and would second that suggestion. If you own or have access to Microsoft SQL Server 2012 High-Performance T-SQL functions by Itzek Ben-Gen there is a great section called "Improved Parallelism with APPLY". It's a just a few pages of some very valuable information.

-- Alan Burstein

Read this article for best practices on asking questions.
Need to split a string? Try this (Jeff Moden)
Need a pattern-based string spitter? Try this (Dwain Camps)

"I can't stress enough the importance of switching from a 'sequential files' mindset to 'set-based' thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code. " -- Itzek Ben-Gan 2001

My blog
Post #1490225
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse