Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Partitions in Analysis Services Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 8:45 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Partitions in Analysis Services
Post #933163
Posted Sunday, June 6, 2010 4:14 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, June 6, 2010 4:05 PM
Good one...liked the way you presented it...Marvellous, keep up the gud work!!
Post #933288
Posted Monday, June 7, 2010 11:12 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, September 13, 2013 10:32 AM
Yep, appreciate the real world examples as well. I have not worked much with partitioning and found that element very helpful.
Post #933608
Posted Monday, June 7, 2010 12:24 PM

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 8:44 AM
I like the article. The explanation is clear.

One subject I would like to get more info on is the remote processing of a partition. Right now, I process the cubes on a back office server and I push the processed cubes to an user facing server.
Using the remote processing from the user facing server may be a better option? I just do not want the users to be affected by the cube processing which is resource intensive.

Another article I would like to see is how to use SSIS to manage all these dimensions and partitions processing. Do you know of an article like that?

For the little story, I maintain a tally table for my partitions so I never have to manually add a new partition for a new time window. The tally table is a lookup based on calendar, it has a key,a lower and an upper bound. The bounds values gets changed as needed. The time horizon is not expanding, in this case, it is a rolling window. For old data we use another cube.

BI Guy
Post #933643
Posted Monday, June 7, 2010 2:47 PM
SSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, April 18, 2014 2:06 PM
FWIW, 2005 Standard Edition (and also 2008, I believe) does permit up to three partitions. We have been using it in production for several years with no problems. However, Microsoft does not provide customer support for this practice.

Post #933692
Posted Sunday, November 30, 2014 11:59 PM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Sunday, November 30, 2014 11:56 PM
Thanks @Shahfaisal

Very crisp and clear information.

Was wondering if there is a way out for dynamic partitions. Something like a partition should automatically adopt the next year's data in a new one when it comes.

-Forum Etiquette: How to post Performance Problems

-Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code to get the best help
Post #1640122
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse