Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Where a Rose is not a rose… Expand / Collapse
Author

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 6:30 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Where a Rose is not a rose…

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
Post #925648
Posted Thursday, May 20, 2010 10:20 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, November 13, 2011 11:04 PM
{
sure it wasn't the waggon and horses pub you were going to, rather than the Wagon and Horses Pub?
}
Post #925654
Posted Thursday, May 20, 2010 10:37 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:44 AM
Funny, but I can hear a voice screaming at me somewhere around the back of my head. It's saying 'Visual Basic' ...
Post #925661
Posted Friday, May 21, 2010 1:55 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 3:30 AM
Funny that Ben, just what I was thinking.
A very insightful piece, Phil, struck a chord with me.

Now this may be a little off-topic but understanding what people are asking / describing reminds me of an incident years (and years!) back where three of us from one major Bank IT office were seconded to another in London, and were being shown a demo by someone – lets just call him “Bob”.
This was back in the days where you actually typed "win" to start windows, and Bob typed "win:" so one of us asked "What's the colon for?"
Well Bob started to spiel off what happens when you eat food, going into detail about the large intestine, small intestine, rectum and of course, the colon, while the three of us exchanged silent, bemused and amused glances, not wanting to stop Bob who was in full flow, and obviously thought that the supposed question about the part of the body was completely normal for one of his demos.
Incidentally the colon was to start windows without the splash screen.
Post #925729
Posted Friday, May 21, 2010 2:07 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:48 AM
While I mostly agree with the sentiment expressed in the editorial, there is one place where I don't. Where, in fact, I'd even reverse the statement:

"There really is little justification for not having a case-sensitive collation for database on a dev server"

When developing code, you can never be entirely sure what server(s) it will be deployed on. One of them could be neglecting Phil's good advice and using a case sensitive collation. And surely, you would not want your deployment fail because users get bucketloads of "Table cUstOMer not found" errors, because the table is acutally called "CusTOmeR".

Make sure you always develop and test on a case-sensitive server, and you'll never have these problems.

(And an added benefit is that you don't get the confusion sometimes caused by using different case for the same object in the same query).

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #925738
Posted Friday, May 21, 2010 2:39 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 6:20 AM
Unless we can devise special sounds for curly brackets (open and close), semi-colons and maybe an altered intonation for upper-case

Not sure about upper/lower case, but Victor Borge's phonetic punctuation could fit the bill... (I can't check out video/audio links at work, but you know where to search...)
Post #925751
Posted Friday, May 21, 2010 2:47 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Thursday, October 4, 2012 9:20 AM
How archaic is talking some one through code?

Did you not have a smart device - and type the SQL then electronically send it to the guy so he could just cut and paste the code into place?

No?

How last year are you?

Hiding under a desk from SSIS Implemenation Work
Post #925755
Posted Friday, May 21, 2010 3:07 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

"There really is little justification for not having a case-sensitive collation for database on a dev server"

Hugo, I heartily agree with the sentiment, but I hate to actually recommend having a case-sensitive DEV machine because developers tend to get bored with correcting errors in their perfectly sensible mixed-case object names and just do everything in lower case. I've seen it happen so many times. It is precisely what you want to avoid. What we need instead is a utility that takes the original names in the metadata, complete with their original capitalisation, and creates a script that corrects the case of the names elsewhere in all the code that references the object, according to the original definition. Hmm... Maybe I shall write such a thing. I'm hopeless at remembering capitalisation, which is why I'm hopeless at JavaScript (or is it Javascript?)

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
Post #925768
Posted Friday, May 21, 2010 3:14 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Did you not have a smart device - and type the SQL then electronically send it to the guy so he could just cut and paste the code into place?

I'd have given my eye-teeth for a remote app that gives an unpleasant electric shock to the holder of an iPhone whilst you're talking to him, when he is in panic-mode. Like the movies where they give a hysterical person a sharp slap and they're then instantly OK.

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
Post #925775
Posted Friday, May 21, 2010 5:53 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 8:59 AM
Phil Factor (5/21/2010)

I'd have given my eye-teeth for a remote app that gives an unpleasant electric shock to the holder of an iPhone whilst you're talking to him, when he is in panic-mode. Like the movies where they give a hysterical person a sharp slap and they're then instantly OK.
Now THAT's progress! Would it work through a bluetooth earpiece?

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #925874
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse