Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Author Guidelines Expand / Collapse
Author

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 7:16 AM
Jeff - I appreciated this article. I didn't find it arrogant at all. I found it to be a straight forward list of points that, if followed, will make my articles better.

Thanks for your contribution.

Jim Murphy
http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
@SQLMurph
Post #1131617
Posted Saturday, June 25, 2011 12:26 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:58 AM
ark.trofman (6/25/2011)
Jeff Moden (6/25/2011)
ark.trofman (6/24/2011)

So, please, could you learn English first, and then look from your unreachable heights down at the people who try to publish here ?

You were doing fine right up to the point where you wrote that. The ad hominem attack and the sarcasm is just not necessary to get your point across. I strongly suggest that, before you admonish anyone for their grammatical errors, you first learn some manners.

My manners simply reflect the overall tone of the article on Author Guidelines - nothing more, nothing less. I understand that they have a great deal of articles and wrote guidelines based on the material they getting. However, it is not necessary to ridicule the current and prospective correspondents in such an article. As a matter of fact, there is no necessity for this at all.

Unlike your post, I didn't see any ridicule in the article nor a tone nearly as bad as that in your post. Just suggestions. Like I said, your final statement just wasn't necessary to get your point across.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1131656
Posted Saturday, June 25, 2011 12:28 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Jim Murphy (6/25/2011)
Jeff - I appreciated this article. I didn't find it arrogant at all. I found it to be a straight forward list of points that, if followed, will make my articles better.

I'm curious why you addressed this to me, Jim. I was talking about "ark's" misquided and rude comment... not anything in the article.

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
Post #1131658
Posted Saturday, June 25, 2011 1:40 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, October 21, 2012 4:56 PM
Well, obviously, your perception of the article differs from mine. I expressed my opinion, you - yours. From your point of view my comment was not necessary, from mine - it was, and I even explained why.
The bottom line - I acknowledge your right to have your own opinion as you should acknowledge mine. Peace.
Post #1131686
Posted Saturday, June 25, 2011 3:13 PM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 7:16 AM
Jeff Moden (6/25/2011)
Jim Murphy (6/25/2011)

I'm curious why you addressed this to me, Jim. I was talking about "ark's" misquided and rude comment... not anything in the article.

I addressed you because Ark took offense to something in the original article somehow. I was stating that I don't see any reason at all that offense should have been taken by anyone. It sounds to me like Ark thought you were arrogant and on your high horse, but I didn't get that AT ALL. I found the post to be to the point yes, but not high horse or offensive in the least.

And I didn't think that Ark's last-sentence comment was worth addressing. He must be having a bad day or something. I just don't see what could have been taken wrong. Ark had some "reasons" about English, but I just didn't see any reason for the personal attack in the last sentence. So I chalk his comment up to "can't please everyone" with a bad mood or something.

Jim Murphy
http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
@SQLMurph
Post #1131696
Posted Saturday, June 25, 2011 4:28 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:53 PM
Tom.Thomson (5/18/2010)
Nice guidelines up to a point. There something rather bizarre though: the claim that "following" is not a noun and therefor can't begin a sentence is pure nonsense.

Perhaps, but that's something that we edit for and will not accept "Following is a query..." in an article. It's annoying, and while it might be grammatically correct, these are rules for the site here.

I've altered the wording to just say that we don't find it acceptable.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1131704
Posted Saturday, June 25, 2011 4:30 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:53 PM
ark.trofman (6/24/2011)
I understand that you need to have certain rules and make them available for the folks who want to publish here. Also I understand that the basic rules of English grammar should apply. However, if you took the liberty to write about the rules, be consistent.
It is a bad English, to use the same word in two consecutive sentences. For example: "We have a series of styles and formatting options available to you, however these are not necessarily everything you may want. However, please use the styles that are available in the editor for most of your work."
Another thing that looked odd to me was in the very next sentence: "If you have not published an article, we will not grant exceptions, so stick with that is available." Wouldn't it be right to say it like this:"If you have not published an article, we will not grant exceptions, so stick with what is available?"
So, please, could you learn English first, and then look from your unreachable heights down at the people who try to publish here ?

Thanks for the typo catch, and it has been corrected.

However the sarcastic attitude isn't needed. We get dozens, literally over 50 articles a month to review and they contain lots of simple errors that are very annoying, and time-wasting for the editors.

Perhaps they don't apply to you, in which case, please feel free to ignore them. However for the dozens of people that submit here every month that don't know these rules for submissions, these are available to help them understand what we are looking for.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1131705
Posted Saturday, June 25, 2011 5:31 PM

SSC-Dedicated

ark.trofman (6/25/2011)
Well, obviously, your perception of the article differs from mine. I expressed my opinion, you - yours. From your point of view my comment was not necessary, from mine - it was, and I even explained why.
The bottom line - I acknowledge your right to have your own opinion as you should acknowledge mine. Peace.

Nope. I agree that the article needs a couple of corrections. Your opinion was just fine and you could have left your opinion with no problem. But you didn't stop there. You had to turn it into a personal attack. Like I said, learn some manners.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1131714
Posted Saturday, June 25, 2011 6:52 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, October 21, 2012 4:56 PM
Jeff Moden (6/25/2011)
ark.trofman (6/25/2011)

Nope. I agree that the article needs a couple of corrections. Your opinion was just fine and you could have left your opinion with no problem. But you didn't stop there. You had to turn it into a personal attack. Like I said, learn some manners.

Very well then, you should realize, that other people do have the right to express their opinion whether you acknowledge it or not.
Once again, the point of my remark was to show that nobody is perfect, and condescending tone of the article was as unnecessary as my sarcasm.
Anyway, if you must have the last word in this dispute (which is actually pointless at this time), then it's all yours.
Post #1131721
Posted Saturday, June 25, 2011 9:46 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Fine! I'll take the last word. No one has or is denying you your personal opinion. I say, again, that you did a great job of expressing your personal opinion and, for a minute, I was actually impressed... all the way up to where you turned it into a personal attack.

You know a lot and have a gift of being able to share your knowledge through accurately written words. Don't cheapen it with personal attacks and sarcasm.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1131728
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse