Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Differences between sql server 2008 and 2008 R2 Expand / Collapse
Author
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 3:44 PM
I did some research to find the differences between between sql server 2008 and 2008 R2 but couldnt find much. I know in R2, BI is made more effecient but is it different from what it is present in 2008? Can someone please explain me the major differences between sql server 2008 and 2008 R2. Thanks in advance.
Post #916605
Posted Wednesday, May 05, 2010 6:54 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:56 AM
I'm just doing an installation from MSDN, but from someone's perspective who has not touched OLAP in 7 years, I think Central Management is supposed to be the largest difference.

/* ----------------------------- */
Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!

Post #916606
Posted Wednesday, May 05, 2010 6:56 PM
Ten Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:56 AM
Also, I think backup compression is available in R2 standard, but only in RTM/SP's enterprise. That is a big selling point.

/* ----------------------------- */
Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!

Post #916608
Posted Wednesday, May 05, 2010 7:39 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 7:57 AM
This might help you somewhat.

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #916619
Posted Thursday, May 06, 2010 12:57 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Today @ 4:35 AM
Few of the features that i know
1.SQL Server 2008 R2 will have editions that support up to 256 logical processors, an increase from the maximum support of 64 logical processors with past releases.
2.Master Data Services(MDS) part of BI solutions, people say it is introduced avoid data conflicts in DW, not sure how to implement it.
3.One more new feature in BI is Power Pivot, PowerPivot is designed to meet the more focused BI needs of end users through integration with Microsoft Excel and SharePoint.
4.SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS): adds to previous geospatial data types by offering new visualization mapping capabilities for reports.
5.SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS): new dashboards to DBAs for monitoring and managing multiple instances of SQL Servers from a single screen, this functionality is not available in SQL Server express edition.

Nag
------------------------------------------------
How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537
Post #916692
Posted Thursday, May 06, 2010 3:31 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:51 AM
A new feature of the core DBMS is Data Tier Applications (DACs). Also the Express size limitation has been increased to 10GB.

David
Post #916744
Posted Thursday, May 06, 2010 8:45 AM
Ten Centuries

thanks everyone for the reply...i still couldnt find the right answer..all the features mentioned above like data compression and DW features are also present in sql server 2008...i am trying to find out prime differences between sql server 2008 and 2008 R2...i know these are two different products....am i missing something here?
Post #917045
Posted Thursday, May 06, 2010 9:05 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:51 AM
I think you didn't read the replies very well. A number of features were mentioned that are new to R2. Here's another link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb500435(SQL.105).aspx

David
Post #917079
Posted Thursday, May 06, 2010 9:11 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:56 PM
David Portas (5/6/2010)
I think you didn't read the replies very well. A number of features were mentioned that are new to R2. Here's another link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb500435(SQL.105).aspx

I think that David's and Wayne's links are good places to start. Is there something you were using this for? Is there some business reason?

I see R2 as what it is, a 10.5 version of SQL 2008. There are improvements in areas, and new features, but in general, unless you specifically are using one of those, I'd skip the upgrade.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #917093
Posted Sunday, May 09, 2010 9:17 PM
Ten Centuries

thanks..got it now..
Post #918749
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse