Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

How to Read Excel Cells from SQL Server Integration Services Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, September 9, 2013 6:15 PM
Yes Rich, I spent days trying to crack this and in the end had to cut my losses and battle the SSIS import which in itself proved ridiculously difficult. This is largely do to the inability to set Excel metadata on import which then truncates all text fields to 255 characters. A dark art combination/permutation of IMEX=0/IMEX=1 in the source file connection string and/or padding the source spreadsheet with hidden dummy large text fields eventually got the data in, but as newbie to the asp.net/SSIS environment I hear myself repeatedly asking the same question "why should it ever be this hard?". Not exactly an inspiring start to this environment but at least it's good to know I'm not alone on this one.
Post #913317
Posted Friday, April 30, 2010 12:52 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:55 PM
Don't worry Gary, it's just Excel, the rest of SSIS works (practically) fine.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #913487
Posted Friday, April 30, 2010 6:35 AM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:01 PM
gary.humphryes (4/29/2010)
Yes Rich, I spent days trying to crack this and in the end had to cut my losses and battle the SSIS import which in itself proved ridiculously difficult. This is largely do to the inability to set Excel metadata on import which then truncates all text fields to 255 characters. A dark art combination/permutation of IMEX=0/IMEX=1 in the source file connection string and/or padding the source spreadsheet with hidden dummy large text fields eventually got the data in, but as newbie to the asp.net/SSIS environment I hear myself repeatedly asking the same question "why should it ever be this hard?". Not exactly an inspiring start to this environment but at least it's good to know I'm not alone on this one.

Gary, if you want, I can send you the code I used - mostly downloaded from others - to kill the Excel process. I didn't (and don't) like forcing an application closed like that, but in the end, it worked. Here's another good page summarizing the issue and how to address it:
http://devcity.net/Articles/239/4/article.aspx.

I feel your pain about Excel imports. If Excel and SQL Server weren't both MS products, I could understand the mismatches being a problem. MS clearly intended Excel to be a source/destination for SSIS: they didn't do their homework on this, IMO.

That said, once you get it working, it's a good thing to be able to pull in data from Excel. One of the things I use it for is when I need a department to review data for mass updates: I create an Excel file with all the information they need, I add a new column that they use to tell me the row should or should not be updated, then I pull the file back into a staging table with SSIS so I can update the correct data. Saves everyone a lot of time, and I have their Excel file for CYA

Rich
Post #913626
Posted Friday, April 30, 2010 11:50 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Sunday, July 27, 2014 1:57 PM
"I feel your pain about Excel imports. If Excel and SQL Server weren't both MS products, I could understand the mismatches being a problem. MS clearly intended Excel to be a source/destination for SSIS: they didn't do their homework on this, IMO. "

I started to use SSIS but gave up. VBA in Excel is easy to learn and you can run an Excel process
on the client computer fetching data or importing data from/to a remote server.

/Gosta
Post #914200
Posted Tuesday, May 4, 2010 3:04 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:47 AM
Hi Dinesh,

Nice Article!!!

Is it possible to use cell name rather than B3,B4? Why i am asking is, because if the position of the cell has changed in future then it will not taken values from the excel. If we can place cell name it will be so easy if sometimes cell position gets changed.

Please advice me if i am wrong.

Post #915147
Posted Thursday, May 6, 2010 7:22 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 6:36 AM
Hi,
Sorry to be a bit late joining the thread. I do quite a bit with excel and have found the best way to pick arbitrary cell values is to use a script task. I am using VB so I not sure of the syntax for C# for this.
I use set Option Strict Off, then define the variables I need for the access as objects (this will be latebinding so there aren't tool tips) then get a reference to Excel by using createobject("Excel.Application"). You can get help with code by writing a sub using the objects you want in the Excel VB Editor and pasting it in and modifying it. However you will need to use the full VBA expression to read from the cell as the default won't be recognised (i.e. sheet.range("A1").Value not sheet.range("A1")) but when writing to it the later will work.
This can be run in a try catch block for error handling. Usually in the catch block I use the code
If Not wb Is Nothing Then wb.Close(False) (wb being the workbook object). This will close the excel file without saving changes, objects will need to be disposed of properly too. The parameter false is needed to stop excel launching the Do you want to save changes? dialog box.
Another point, you will need to use the actual integer values for Excel Enumerations where needed as the enumeration won't be recognised in the script task using this method.
I use Script tasks to get and set specific cell values as well as to loop through each sheet in a workbook to save it as a csv file are then loaded using SSIS. This avoids the Excel ADO problem with columns containing mixed datatypes.
Post #916932
Posted Thursday, May 6, 2010 11:32 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, July 4, 2014 1:38 PM
This works brilliantly, thank you so much! It solved a very messy problem for me.

Simone

Simone
Post #917255
Posted Monday, August 30, 2010 9:20 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 3:57 AM
Hello

I just can't get this to work when I run the package as a job on the server. I don't seem to be able to add the COM references to the script component, I only get the option of .NET - is this the trouble?

Can anyone shed any light on this? The reason I am trying it out is I have to pick about 50 cells of data from all over a spreadsheet and this seems like a good method. it works locally anyway!
Post #977396
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse