Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

SSIS for Multiple Environments Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, September 9, 2013 8:14 AM
we use dtexec, which when run in the context of a scheduler will respond to a kill statement.
if we kill the job in the scheduler it will kill the ssis package at the point it was processing in about 3 - 4 seconds.
Post #911234
Posted Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:46 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, July 15, 2013 6:55 PM
Why storing the ssis at the File system level instead of the server? Storing packages at the file system is a security problem. A better way will be to store the package in the server also, store all metadata relate information in a table, this will provided a better more stable package to maintain.
Post #911249
Posted Tuesday, April 27, 2010 10:01 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 10:59 PM
Actually I reviewed by NT script and I do use DTEXEC instead of DTSRUN (I must had DTS packages on my mind!).

Another great thing about using a NT Batch script is that you can evaluate the ERRORLEVEL code from the DTEXEC command. This is a great way to properly know if you package did succeed or not. This also allows you to properly pass the Exit code to your job scheduler (ie: IBM Tivoli Job Scheduler) to know if the job was successful.

You can findout all about the DTEXEC command in BOL.

Post #911269
Posted Tuesday, April 27, 2010 11:19 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, July 22, 2013 9:26 AM
<ryan>

Interesting, that's how we'd like to ours to behave.

We use SQL Agent as our job scheduler. Stopping the job step leaves a thread of dtexec running the package and it won't stop until killed by pid. What job scheduler do you use?
</ryan>

As for storing packages in the filesystem: 1) it eases our deployments 2) you can't use relative paths in MSDB. Security needs to be taken care of with folder permissions etc. One disadvantage to this is also that we're not having the packages backed up as part of the msdb backups, but rely on our storage backups in the data center - which we are ok with.

Post #911312
Posted Tuesday, April 27, 2010 11:56 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, September 9, 2013 8:14 AM
zarathustra >>> we use CA Autosys
Post #911341
Posted Wednesday, April 28, 2010 10:02 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, June 6, 2014 7:59 AM
Hi this is a great article. I am very familar with SSIS and would like any information on where I can get some more specifics on Multi Environment implementation. I have not had the need to create a Proxy or a credential account as you mention in your article. so I am trying to follow along and I think I have the jist of it. One question I have is when developing the package on your local machine and then running tests in each environment do you set package security up to a specific account? We have had some issues here with the credentials being saved as part of the package so we just use Passwords but I would like to know more about the credential implementation. Any info anyone can give on this topic is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob
Post #912149
Posted Wednesday, April 28, 2010 10:15 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Wednesday, August 6, 2014 6:07 AM

When a developer runs the package from their machine, it will (in our case) connect as dbo to the Configuration View - the reason being the SSIS developers our part of a group that has higher privs on DEV. If you use sql logins, there will be a bit more management involved when doing the promotes from the developer, to the qa system, etc. When we move the package to a Test environment, the credential/proxy take care of the security. The package execution takes on its (job step owners) credentials.

If I missed the question, please re-phrase and I will give it another shot.

Cheers
http://twitter.com/widba
http://widba.blogspot.com/
Post #912168
Posted Wednesday, April 28, 2010 10:17 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Friday, November 9, 2012 2:48 PM

One question I have is when developing the package on your local machine and then running tests in each environment do you set package security up to a specific account?

The way I handle this is by using the SQL Agent account or proxy. The package doesn't have any different security persay, but the security of the different agent/proxy accounts varries. Infact I developed a way to have one SSIS_configurations table for several environments.

SSIS_configurations can be a view/function that returns the data depending on what account (suser_sname()) calls it.
Post #912170
Posted Wednesday, April 28, 2010 10:43 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 1:51 PM
Nice article and very useful information.

We use a table in each environment.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #912190
Posted Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:50 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, July 22, 2013 9:26 AM
ryan thanks alot for the info.

robert. are you referring to the package protection level?

when we are in development we EncryptSensitiveWithUserKey enabling each developer to do their own thing while working locally. when we put our packages to DEV or UAT or PROD environments we EncryptSensitiveWithPassword with a strong common password.

this might have some useful info: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms141747.aspx

Post #912508
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse