Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

SQL Overview V - Monitoring Long Running Jobs Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 1:55 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Overview V - Monitoring Long Running Jobs

David Bird

My PC Quick Reference Guide
Post #888674
Posted Wednesday, March 24, 2010 7:31 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:55 PM
I like the thoughts in this, but we use a more general solution where we track similar information for all production jobs. Instead of using a manually configured time period for each job we calculate the standard deviation based on the historical job durations and report only when the current run time falls outside of 3 standard deviations. This alerts us to both jobs that run too long or too short, etc.
Post #888954
Posted Wednesday, March 24, 2010 10:57 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:18 PM
cclark-1005023 (3/24/2010)
I like the thoughts in this, but we use a more general solution where we track similar information for all production jobs. Instead of using a manually configured time period for each job we calculate the standard deviation based on the historical job durations and report only when the current run time falls outside of 3 standard deviations. This alerts us to both jobs that run too long or too short, etc.

Nice Idea. Since, statistically, 99% should fall within that range of deviations - it should be more accurate to find when a job is behaving abnormally and avoid false positives.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #889142
Posted Wednesday, March 24, 2010 10:58 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:18 PM
Nice article. Thanks for the other articles in the series as well.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #889144
Posted Wednesday, March 24, 2010 11:25 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, October 16, 2014 11:58 AM
cclark-1005023 (3/24/2010)

@David Bird -- Nice article. Thanks. I haven't read the others in the series but definately will.

@cclark -- Great idea, I hadn't thought of that method.

This is why I love the discussions on articles. The discussions to me are like icing on the cake except sometimes the icing is vitimin packed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Use Full Links:
KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum
Post #889176
Posted Thursday, March 25, 2010 6:31 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, February 3, 2013 8:05 AM
Great Article

The limk to SQL Overview Part VI doesnt work....
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Monitoring/69650/
Post #889724
Posted Thursday, March 25, 2010 7:30 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 1:55 PM
SQL Monitoring VI is coming out next week. Steve Jones must be planning ahead.

David Bird

My PC Quick Reference Guide
Post #889800
Posted Friday, July 29, 2011 4:54 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 10:14 AM
I think the idea of monitoring on the deviation from an average runtime is spot on. I have used this methodology extensively to always be one step ahead of the users and bosses, and to stop problems before they become BIG problems. I have used the automated email to call a user running the query and have some fun (sometimes I love my job). I have saved countless hours by eliminating problems as they occur or quickly finding the root cause of a problem that occurred in the middle of the night or weekend, which has more than paid for itself multiple times over with just my sanity alone!
Since I am using a supported tool, SQL Sentry's Event Manager, I also have a graphical display showing me the interaction of all the events fired off in SQL or via the Task Scheduler in a cool calendar format, allowing me to drill in and see what was affected and/or caused the problem.

Stephen

Post #1151354
Posted Friday, September 16, 2011 12:43 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, October 1, 2014 10:28 AM
This is an old topic, but nevertheless: There is a tiny typo in "last_exectued_step_date" column. Raises error if not corrected.
Post #1176212
Posted Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:33 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, October 16, 2014 9:30 AM
Hi David,

I am trying to work with this package on SQL version 2008R2. I was able to to execute this on SQL 2005 version successfully by having some modification. I would like to know from you if i need to make any modifications need to make while working on SQL 2008 version.

Thanks in advance!

Ashwin
Post #1182925
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse