Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Monitoring tools Expand / Collapse
Author
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:26 PM
I'd prefer Idera's SQL Diagnostic Manager.

Thank You,

Best Regards,
SQLBuddy
Post #1003264
Posted Tuesday, December 14, 2010 9:08 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:41 AM
It is my hope that the SQL Monitor Webinar on 12/14 can answer those questions....
Post #1034513
Posted Wednesday, December 15, 2010 7:55 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 8:51 AM
Can System Center Operations Manager be used for this type of monitoring?
Post #1035149
Posted Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:28 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Very quick question for you. Do you have any research on pro's / con's of both products. I was listening to the presentation yesterday and it was very helpful. It would seem for our organization, we are looking not only for monitoring, but potentially some level of remedial approaches when monitoring indicates a challenge. While most of the DBA's that attend SQL Server Central are adept, I'm not certain our small organization (that is growing) has the same level of expertise as people like you. The presenter did a very good job of framing the 'four areas' to watch. It would appear that there are multiple solutions that will help you 'watch' your DB's. Do you find any of these tools that provide remedial approaches to problems or is it 'every man for himself'. Thanks for the insight.
Post #1035188
Posted Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:16 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:33 AM
bwieland said: I'm not certain our small organization (that is growing) has the same level of expertise as people like you. "Do you find any of these tools that provide remedial approaches to problems or is it 'every man for himself'?

One helpful aspect of LogicMonitor is that its alerts don't just tell you a host is down. It gives you suggestions for resolution.
Post #1035303
Posted Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:26 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:28 PM
As far as monitoring goes - another good tool is Confio Ignite. I did an eval of this tool and found it to be extremely helpful.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1035315
Posted Wednesday, December 15, 2010 12:56 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, March 10, 2014 9:52 PM
If you are looking for a simple monitoring tool for your SQL Agent job systems with vibrant visuals, you can check out SQL Agent Insight @ www.brentec.ca. The software is relatively new with new features being actively added. Email notification is there as well for any thresholds that are exceeded.

Hope this is helpful.
Regards.
Post #1035416
Posted Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:12 PM
Forum Newbie

My thanks to all of you for the great advice. Already looking actively at your recommendations! Best regards and Happy Holidays.
Post #1035481
Posted Thursday, December 16, 2010 6:09 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Sunday, February 09, 2014 9:25 PM
Idera's SQL diagonistic manager has been good in the fields you are requesting.

Regards,
Sushant
Post #1035778
Posted Thursday, December 16, 2010 6:39 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 4:14 AM
System
Centre
Operations
Manager

from Microsoft is also pretty good. The SQL management packs were quite good. The benefit is that its Microsoft, the management packs are (were) written by the SQL team and the SCOM can be used monitor more than just SQL (Exchange, OS, etc, etc). SCOM uses an agent on the server, so you can monitor and see how much of an impact the agent has on the server.

I used Idera at a previous place, and did not like it. It uses an agentless method and "pulls" information from the server. This can compound issues when a server is performing poorly.
Post #1035795
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse