Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Database performance issue Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:21 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, March 6, 2014 5:18 PM
Hmm... I think the number you're looking for will be based on the SLA / user experience you're bound to deliver. I also think that the exact number you're looking for is dynamic in nature as it will change over time as the database grows. Once you determine the level of performance you want to deliver---and can meet that given the hardware you have, allocate your resources such that you meet your goals. If you can exceed them, perhaps you can do so until the spare resources are needed by other databases seeking a home. Use the page life, query response, cache hit ratio and other metrics listed earlier along with execution plans to find out what you're working with.
---FR
Post #871750
Posted Wednesday, February 24, 2010 11:37 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, December 5, 2012 7:23 AM
mem settings
• If server memory is <= 3 GB, set min memory to 1 GB, and max memory to server less 512 MB.
• If server memory is > 3 GB, settings depend on the server platform (32-bit or 64-bit), presence of /3 GB in the boot.ini and on usage of AWE.
• For servers on 64-bit platform AWE is not required, and min memory should be server memory less 2 GB, max memory – server memory less 1 GB.
• On 32-bit platform with AWE : min memory and max memory should be server memory less 1 GB; without AWE – if /3 GB switch is not used, max memory = 2 GB, with the switch it is 3 GB (with min memory 1 GB less than that).
Post #872117
Posted Wednesday, February 24, 2010 11:39 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, February 2, 2012 3:25 PM
1. Are both builds of SQL the same?
2. Do the execution plans look the same?
3. How are you comparing response times between the two systems?
Post #872122
Posted Wednesday, February 24, 2010 11:54 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, July 11, 2014 10:29 PM
BaldingLoopMan (2/24/2010)
mem settings
• If server memory is <= 3 GB, set min memory to 1 GB, and max memory to server less 512 MB.
• If server memory is > 3 GB, settings depend on the server platform (32-bit or 64-bit), presence of /3 GB in the boot.ini and on usage of AWE.
• For servers on 64-bit platform AWE is not required, and min memory should be server memory less 2 GB, max memory – server memory less 1 GB.
• On 32-bit platform with AWE : min memory and max memory should be server memory less 1 GB; without AWE – if /3 GB switch is not used, max memory = 2 GB, with the switch it is 3 GB (with min memory 1 GB less than that).

If you can I would leave at least 3GB for the OS in a 64bit system. Things like replication/connections/third party items all take up pieces of that memory space. I've run into quite a few issues as regards paging when not leaving plenty of room.

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net
Post #872145
Posted Wednesday, February 6, 2013 1:47 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, April 5, 2013 3:00 AM
Yeah you should check the actual query plan.
One more thing maybe you should check the amount of IO or scanning actually happened using Set statistics io on then execute your query or sp.

Post #1416310
Posted Wednesday, February 6, 2013 10:16 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:28 PM
Is the "MS Dynamics Navision ERP" application running on the same box as SQL Server in prod?

If so, I'd lower the fixed memory for SQL considerably.

Even if not, I'd still lower it to at least 96G (98304MB); at 128G, Windows itself needs some RAM to manage the other RAM.

The only non-memoty things that would normally ever slow it that much is:

1) I/O issues
2) tempdb issues.

So I suggest verifying those first before looking at other things.

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP('07, '08, '09)
"In America, every man is innocent until proven broke!" Brant Parker
Post #1416634
Posted Wednesday, February 6, 2013 11:07 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 2:51 PM
Please note: 3 year old thread

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1416648
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse