Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Shrink Database Files in Size Increments Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, February 10, 2010 5:40 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 1:18 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Shrink Database Files in Size Increments
Post #863742
Posted Tuesday, March 2, 2010 11:04 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Thursday, August 28, 2014 11:19 AM
If specified @TargetFileSize cannot be reached your script will go into infinite loop.

--Vadim.
Post #875393
Posted Thursday, March 4, 2010 1:52 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, June 2, 2014 9:15 AM
Boris and Others.

Boris, I have taken your concept and fixed at few issue as already reported and have put in some new features. So before I post them on the board as a full script and associated SP, Id like to run them by you and others, I want to discuss my enhanced that are to my needs.

Currently, I am shrinking a 150GB allocated down to 10% above the actual size, which is 53GB, so I am breaking at 58GB... You get the idea.

Anyway, here is my email address, if you or others choose to directly communicate with me, prior to posting my version of what I am testing.

Hank Freeman
Senior Systems, Database/Data Warehouse Architect
hfreeman@msn.com

Hank Freeman
CCFGC – Senior SQL Server DBA/Architect
hafreeman@coca-cola.com
678-414-0090 (Personal Cell)
Post #877148
Posted Thursday, March 4, 2010 2:11 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Vadim, thanks for pointing that out. I can see how that could be a problem for some but not sure yet how to address that in the script....I'll try at some point to spend some time working on that.

In most cases, the DBA running a shrink operation would check ahead of time what a reasonable/reachable target size would be. I guess because I assumed this, I never thought of what would happen by setting a unreachable target size.

thanks

Post #877162
Posted Thursday, March 4, 2010 3:20 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, June 2, 2014 9:15 AM
I have a solution to the @TargetSize in my script... Which I am testing.

Hank Freeman
CCFGC – Senior SQL Server DBA/Architect
hafreeman@coca-cola.com
678-414-0090 (Personal Cell)
Post #877226
Posted Friday, March 5, 2010 10:40 AM
Forum Newbie

Hank - I'm very interested in seeing your version and I appreciate your efforts. I'll email you today.
Post #877793
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse